Late 2019 21.5" iMac 4k Retina shutdown problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2012 MBP i7 2.6 GHz 16GB Ram Catalina. iPad Air 2, iPhone 12
My iMac was running fine until recently using Catalina but I started having shutdown problems a few weeks ago. Usually I delete my ext HD, delete browsing history, log out and then quit safari and shut down. Recently when I shut down the screen greys out and I get the spinning star. It doesn't matter how long I leave it it will not shut down completely. I have never been blown away by Catalina so I reverted to Mojave, the os that came with the Mac, hoping that would cure the problem but still the same. Every now and then it does shut down completely though, maybe about 1 in 10 times. I have tried going straight to shutdown without logging out first, have run system diagnostics which checks out ok but still the same.
Has anyone else had this problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 32GB i7 3TB & 1TB NVME OSX 13,5,1 late 2013
hi

you shouldn't need to clear your browsing history unless your looking at the wrong things lol.

as for logging out again you don't need to do that either

just click the apple icon and select shutdown,

anyway have you checked the disk for any errors ?

try using disk utility and running a disk first aid on it

as its a 2019 iMac it may be best to contact an apple service centre and see if they can diagnose the issue for free,

but during the current coronavirus issues this may not be an option at the moment in the UK

let us know how you get on ?

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Jason, I have tried just clicking shutdown from the apple menu but no difference. Also I have tried disk repair but it comes up clean each time. I can put the Mac to sleep with no problem and I know this is probably the best option as it is usually only shut down overnight but I'd like to be able to shut down completely once this coronavirus is squashed to be able to go away for a couple of days occasionally. The apple service will be my next step when available. As for looking at the wrong things I have another machine for that (Lol!). I will update if I get sorted.:p
hi

you shouldn't need to clear your browsing history unless your looking at the wrong things lol.

as for logging out again you don't need to do that either

just click the apple icon and select shutdown,

anyway have you checked the disk for any errors ?

try using disk utility and running a disk first aid on it

as its a 2019 iMac it may be best to contact an apple service centre and see if they can diagnose the issue for free,

but during the current coronavirus issues this may not be an option at the moment in the UK

let us know how you get on ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
You can call Apple, and they will offer a call back option.
Or you can go to iMac - Official Apple Support, and use the Get Support option at the bottom.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Every now and then it does shut down completely though, maybe about 1 in 10 times. I have tried going straight to shutdown without logging out first, have run system diagnostics which checks out ok but still the same.

You should reset the SMC for your iMac to see if that resolves it. The SMC (system management controller) is what controls the power settings for your iMac. If resetting the SMC doesn't work, then it's likely you have something running in the background that isn't shutting itself off properly. Sometimes those kind of things are hard to find. But try the SMC reset first.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You should reset the SMC for your iMac to see if that resolves it. The SMC (system management controller) is what controls the power settings for your iMac. If resetting the SMC doesn't work, then it's likely you have something running in the background that isn't shutting itself off properly. Sometimes those kind of things are hard to find. But try the SMC reset first.

Thanks everyone for your input. I have now reset the SMC and all has been ok for the past 3 days.

Thanks again.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Further update: a few days after my last post the same old problems started up again so I just put up with it. A couple of weeks ago I started up in safe mode by keeping the option key pressed at start up which took a while to boot fully but checked and repaired all the registry and system files before letting me log in. So far there has been no further issues and all seems back to normal. I will update if I have further problems.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Okay, keep us updated. By booting to safe mode, the process does a first aid on your hard drive or SSD but does not repair system files. And since there is no registry in macOS, nothing concerning executables (kernel tasks) gets touched.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.