Late 2016 MBP Won't Boot. What Should I do with it?

tanuki

Reaction score
I own a late model 2016 macbook pro (no touch bar). About a year ago it stopped booting up so I put it in a drawer and forgot about it because this thing has been such a hassle but I need to use it now.

I just get a black screen when I try to boot it but I can feel the computer heating up so I think it's on. When I try to connect it to my external display, the display just shows a black screen as well but the monitor seems to be detected.

After many attempts, I was able to get it to boot for a minute and then the screen got all crazy looking and it crashed. I bought this new and had to have the original LCD and keyboard replaced due to failures.

What are my options here? I'd be happy if I could get it to just work with an external display, keyboard and mouse.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Welcome to our Forums.

Firstly, perhaps a mistake: there is no need to post age exact question twice.

I suggest you delete the other - Late 2016 Model Won't Boot. What should I do with it?

Looks to me as though either the Power unit is faulty, or the Internal Drive is failing or failed.

What Operating System (OS) is on that Mac? And is there any critical info on that previously abandoned Mac that you are trying to resurrect?

Ian

OP
T

tanuki

Reaction score
Hi Ian. Thanks for the response.

Sorry for the duplicate, it was a mistake. I'll delete it as soon as I can figure out how.

There is nothing on the drive that I can't live without but I would love to recover it. The OS version I am uncertain on, it was current as of about a year ago.

edit: I have a recent enough backup of my hard drive that I'm not too worried about it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.