Late 2009 MacBook (White; Unibody) Fails To Boot

Reaction score
Help.

After securely emptying the trashcan, about 2/3rds of the way through the process, my Mac froze, and had a beachball. I could still move the cursor around, but absolutely nothing on screen was responding to clicks, I couldn't even use the Force Quit command or even Spotlight.

I'm not entirely sure why it froze.

Considering that the only other thing I could do was force the computer to shutdown, I did.

And now, I get a folder with a question mark.

When I booted Recovery (gives you the option of restoring from backup, using disk utility etc.), and went into Disk Utility, DU couldn't see the internal hard drive; just my Time Machine. I should note that it could see the Recovery Partition, however, I don't know if that is an indicator it can see the internal hard drive.

———————————————
On a side note, the subject in my household came up about possibly replacing the internal 250 GB hard drive with a 240 GB solid state - will this work?

———————————————

Mac OS version: 10.10.1
Late 2009 13" White MacBook Unibody

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sure sounds like your hard drive failed. I had the same symptom with a 2011 iMac that I had and it was a failed hard drive. Apple replaced it as the machine was still covered by Apple care at the time.

As far as replacing the 250 GB hard drive with a 240 GB SSD, yes that will work. However, if you're going to replace the drive with a SSD, I would go for a larger one. Prices have come down considerably.

OP
C
Reaction score
My father purchased a 240GB. I never really fill the storage on this MacBook anymore, seeing that I prefer to use my Mac minis for storage space (500 GB in the 2009 model; 1 TB in the 2011 model).

It's running lickety-split now.

I really wouldn't be surprised however to see this machine make it another year or two before I replace it with a MBP.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Chris I have one question for you. I don't suppose you were trying to trash Time Machine backups by chance?:Oops:

OP
C
Reaction score
Chris I have one question for you. I don't suppose you were trying to trash Time Machine backups by chance?:Oops:

Nope!

I keep my TM backups on an external (like you should). And that's not always connected and it wasn't yesterday morning.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
No worries, just that another user had a similar issue as yours and I just wondered. I typed that reply before seeing the above reply from you. Obviously didn't refresh.
Cheers,
Rod

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.