Last Charged on New MacBook Air M1

Reaction score
Hello, guys. I apologise in advance if this the wrong section. I just bought my MacBook few days ago from a pretty new (unauthorised) reseller from where I live. My friends have all warned me about buying from sellers like this but the authorised sellers were out of stock so I pulled the trigger. Unboxing felt nice and was identical to the ones I've seen on YouTube. However, when I turned it on and went to battery settings it read that it was last charged to 85% two something months ago. This may sound stupid, but what does this mean?

Life long windows user btw, I absolutely love the switch!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

It's likely your M1 MacBook Air was charged to an 85% battery capacity before boxing it for sale. Apple routinely charges their notebook computers to that capacity before releasing them to resellers.

Assuming of course that the M1 MacBook Air you purchased was a brand new product. We always recommend buying Apple products from Apple themselves or from an authorized reseller. That does not mean buying from another reseller will result in a used product, but one always has to be careful of that.

You can check the battery status to see how many charge, recharge cycles have been recorded. The number should be very low.

Life long windows user btw, I absolutely love the switch!

If you have any questions about macOS or your new MBA, feel free to ask here in our forums. Using macOS is a big switch from Windows. But you are not alone. Many of us here including myself were former Windows users. And some of us continue to use both systems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
The reason Apple does that is to protect the batteries. The battery does not do well if fully charged and then left in storage. 85% is a good level for storage and yet leave it so that when the machine is first opened, it will have enough charge to work for the owner.

As Charlie said above, if you have questions, come back and ask. macOS is definitely not Windows, so try to learn how to use it instead of trying to do Windows-y stuff on the Mac.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you guys! It only has 3 charging cycles so I I feel I relieved. Some authorised sellers down here in Sri Lanka has ridiculous mark ups (I don't know why Apple allow this) and the others are always out of stock. Your only other options are having a friend bring it down from abroad or buy from a reseller.

I'm already learning how to use macOs. It's great and I personally find it much more user friendly than windows.Thank you guys again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.