Khan Academy

Reaction score
I just downloaded Khan Academy from the App Store. It uses Adobe flash which is not supported. What is going on? I really dislike Adobe and would rather avoid it, as Apple does as well apparently. Why would this app be available at all in the App Store?
As a matter of curiosity, why does Apple hate Adobe?
Thx, Anne

Last edited:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Apple believes that HTML5 is a better technology than Flash. But Apple isn't going to prevent you from installing Adobe Flash if you really want. At the same time, The App Store is for ALL apps, not just apps that Apple likes or endorses, witnessed by the number of nonsensical apps that are available on both the iOS App Store and Mac App Store..

So if you want to use this Khan Academy app and if it needs Flash, install it and use it. Otherwise, don't..

Not sure Apple hates Adobe or anyone for that matter, especially since where Adobe really makes money is their Creative Suite of applications which work REALLY well on OS X and have been used together by professionals for many years..

Don't jump to conclusions..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I just downloaded Khan Academy from the App Store. It uses Adobe flash which is not supported. What is going on? I really dislike Adobe and would rather avoid it, as Apple does as well apparently. Why would this app be available at all in the App Store?
As a matter of curiosity, why does Apple hate Adobe?

Hi Anne - welcome to the forum! :) Since you posted in one of the iPad forums, I'm assuming that you put the app on an iDevice and not an Apple OS X computer, in which Adobe Flash can be installed - correct?

As already explained, Apple and Flash DON'T mix since the days of Steve Jobs' rants against the browser plug-in - there is a LOT on the web about the controversy; just google 'Adobe Flash Steve Jobs', or take a look at this Wiki Summary.

As to Khan Academy, which I've not used, I'm assuming that the teaching videos are viewed through a web browser; if so and if you are using Safari on the iPad, Flash support is absent, but if you can use another browser that might support a 'Flash Alternative', such as 'Puffin', then give it a try. Good luck - Dave :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...The App Store is for ALL apps, not just apps that Apple likes or endorses, witnessed by the number of nonsensical apps that are available on both the iOS App Store and Mac App Store..

Whatta you mean…"non-sensical apps"!!;) Do you mean:

- Killing Orcs apps?
- Ringtone apps?
- Any Hello Kitty app?

Lol ;);)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Look at things this way Anne.

Apple follows that old Latin proverb ~ 'a buck is a buck is a buck'. Explains why at one stage they were even selling Nortons AV software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
While awaiting a reply from the OP to some of the posted questions, I don't see anything to do with "Khan" or "Khan Academy" listed in the OS X App Store, so I don't know where it came from, and I doubt that Flash would be required if it came from the iOS App Store.

Just saying… ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
While awaiting a reply from the OP to some of the posted questions, I don't see anything to do with "Khan" or "Khan Academy" listed in the OS X App Store, so I don't know where it came from, and I doubt that Flash would be required if it came from the iOS App Store.

Just saying… ;)

Hi Pm-r - Anne put her post in one of the iDevice forums (see my post) - the app is available in the iOS App Store - so my guess is that this is on an iPad and she is likely using Safari on the device, which does not support Flash - I'm assuming that this app simply links to free video courses via a browser - if so (and I've not used it), then she could try a browser that has a Flash equivalent, such as Puffin which is on my iPad Air 2. Dave :)

Last edited:

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Not sure I understand what the OP is talking about. I just downloaded Khan Academy and played multiple videos on my iPhone.

There is not now, nor has there ever been an app in the iOS app store that required flash to run.

Watching Flash videos in a web browser is a whole other issue and there are available browsers that deal with that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
So if you want to use this Khan Academy app and if it needs Flash, install it and use it. Otherwise, don't..

Not really possible when it is a iOS App, and I am surprised that it needs flash to work on any Device.
Im downloading now to see what the OP is on about, because I don't believe this is true. Apple wouldn't let a Flash only supported App into the Store, when Flash won't run on iOS.

Will be back.

EDIT:
Not sure I understand what the OP is talking about. I just downloaded Khan Academy and played multiple videos on my iPhone.

Exactly. Im not sure what the OP is talking about either.

EDIT 2: I haven't even found something like a link, that I can use in Safari either. The good of this, is I'm starting to learn Computer Science, and I'm learning about Algorithms today :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Dave, and I just checked with my iPad 2, iOS 7, and no sign of any Flash being required with any of the "Kahn" apps. So more details needed form the OP me thinks.

Patrick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Dave, and I just checked with my iPad 2, iOS 7, and no sign of any Flash being required with any of the "Kahn" apps. So more details needed form the OP me thinks.

Hi Patrick - I was too lazy to DL the app to my iPad, so not sure how it functions - just assumed that w/ all of the 'free' offerings that browser linking would be the best way - will have to await the return of our OP - ;) Dave

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
EDIT 2: I haven't even found something like a link, that I can use in Safari either. The good of this, is I'm starting to learn Computer Science, and I'm learning about Algorithms today :D

I went straight to Algebra - see if I remember any of that stuff.

I can tell you the 108 test average I had that year doesn't mean jack squat almost 50 years later. :Not-Amused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

I can tell you the 108 test average I had that year doesn't mean jack squat almost 50 years later. :Not-Amused:

Don't be too hard on yourself Tom, I'm sure there is something left in those tanks of yours ;)

In all honesty, it is a very polished App, with the reading cue to go with it too. I think I might keep it, and/or pas it on to the son . . . . Which will make me #1 Dad of the year :Mischievous:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

LOL!! You're a better man than I as I was afraid to even try any as 56 years is a long time since High School days — and when the ol' brain didn't mind working a bit and still could. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Guys - well after all of the comments, I did a DL to my iPad Air 2 - seemed to work fine going to a half dozen or so 'lessons' - as a retired physician, I was a little embarrassed trying to answer some of the questions in my area of expertise! ;) Dave

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dave, never knew. Me too. Small world.

Hi Ian - we may have had a few post exchanges on this topic in the past - can't remember (but some 'neurologic' specialty comes to mind - forgive me if wrong ;))?

But let me send you a PM and we can exchange some brief details w/o derailing this thread - Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Ian - we may have had a few post exchanges on this topic in the past - can't remember (but some 'neurologic' specialty comes to mind - forgive me if wrong ;))?

But let me send you a PM and we can exchange some brief details w/o derailing this thread - Dave :)

I may be wrong, but I'm sure I recall it was one of you retired MD physician types posting some comments to try and help some poster who you felt was suffering from what you thought was some form or RCI (Rectal-Cranial-Inversion). ;)

Butt, I'm sure you would remember that and some of the followup wise cracks. :D ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I may be wrong, but I'm sure I recall it was one of you retired MD physician types posting some comments to try and help some poster who you felt was suffering from what you thought was some form or RCI (Rectal-Cranial-Inversion). ;)

Butt, I'm sure you would remember that and some of the followup wise cracks. :D ;D

Patrick - LOL! :) Actually, Ian & I have already exchanged several PMs - we are both radiologists (and graduated from medical school in 1971 - of course, different schools) - he specializes in neuroradiology (so about the head in part) and I was a gastrointestinal radiologist, so your Rectal-Cranial-Inversion comment was prescient - ;) Dave

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.