Keychain fail

Reaction score
I have had this happen before and it is a problem. I signed up with a new website yesterday, and today I found that while keychain suggested a password for me, it did not save this password and I now cannot access his site from other devices.
Seriously Apple? Not OK!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have had this happen before and it is a problem. I signed up with a new website yesterday, and today I found that while keychain suggested a password for me, it did not save this password and I now cannot access his site from other devices.
Seriously Apple? Not OK!

1. Did you save the password to the keychain when Safari asked?

2. Are you using Safari on those other devices?

3. And finally, are you syncing keychain passwords?

OP
O
Reaction score
I wasn't prompted to save the password, which usually happens. Yes to 2 and 3.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Sometimes Safari saves the password, but doesn't associate it with a user name or website address. This usually puts the password at the top of the saved passwords list.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Okay, thanks for responding. When Safari suggests a password and it does not ask to save it, that means it is not saved. You can force Safari to save it by opening Safari Preferences, Passwords, enter your admin password, and then manually save.

A real pain in the ****. :)

It's really best to download a free password manager that will save your passwords across all your browsers and apps. I recommend "Lastpass" which is free for personal use.

#1 Password Manager & Vault App, Enterprise SSO & MFA | LastPass

They do require you to sign up for an account. Just click on "Get Lastpass Free".

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks for that, but it really annoys me that we should need third party products because Apple can't get it's s*&t together. I recently posted re another bizaare hole in a native iPhone app, and again the suggestion was third party. Sorry to vent, but at the price one pays for Apple, this is really sloppy.

OP
O
Reaction score
The thing I don't get is that my mac remembers the password (it seems) as I am not promoted fr a password when enter the site. So where is the password?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
The thing I don't get is that my mac remembers the password (it seems) as I am not promoted fr a password when enter the site. So where is the password?

I assume Safari created the PW on your Mac? And it remembers it on your Mac? But not on other devices?

If this is the case, then it seems likely that the problem lies with Keychain Sync. Have you enabled this on your Mac and on all your devices?

On all iDevices: Settings > Apple ID > iCloud > Keychain > ON

On your Mac: System Preferences > iCloud > Keychain > box Checked

Ian

OP
O
Reaction score
Hi.
Yes PW created and remembered by the Mac - yet no record in passwords in the Safari preferences. So if the Mac remembers, I am wondering where this can be accesses. Keychain is syncing - I created two other new profiles the same day and both are in passwords across all devices.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi

Well, all I can suggest is that you open Keychain on your Mac, enter your Admin PW, then in the search box put in the name of the Website or whatever, that you signed into.

If it's there, it will show up on the left. You can double-click the name and then "Show Password" etc.

You may have to juggle around with the Website name or reference. It usually has to be fairly exact.

Sorry I can't be of further help.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Curious, Nic, I've never had Safari fail to store a password it suggested. Could be I'm just lucky, but the passwords are always in the Preferences/Passwords for Safari. I will second chscag's suggestion for a password saver. I use 1Password, have had it for a long time and like the way it works. But just about any of them will do. I started with 1Password before Apple had any iCloud sync, stuck with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.