Keyboard problems?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13"(Early 2011) 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5 Mac OS X 10.8.2
Currently, the lights on my keyboard don't work; well, actually I can adjust them manually using the F5 and the F6 buttons, but they don't automatically light up even though I do have the option checked in my preferences. I've been looking this problem up on the internet and I've only been able to find posts from at least two years back. Is anyone having this same problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
What model Mac do you have ?
List your Mac Specs under your name or in your Sig so people don't need to keep asking.
Cheers

OP
Hexen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here are my specs:
-MacBook Pro 13" 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5
-Mac OS X 10.7.1

And I just added them as my signature. Sorry about not adding them sooner. I'm new to my Mac...so I'm new to this site as well:/

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Currently, the lights on my keyboard don't work; well, actually I can adjust them manually using the F5 and the F6 buttons, but they don't automatically light up even though I do have the option checked in my preferences. I've been looking this problem up on the internet and I've only been able to find posts from at least two years back. Is anyone having this same problem?

Let's try a SMC reset as that controls keyboard lighting. See this LINK.

OP
Hexen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did everything just as the article said, and when I restart my computer after resetting the SMC the lights do come on, but only for a split second. After that I have the same problem again. Is there anything else that I can do? The lights obviously work so its not a hardware issue, but a software issue. Is there anything that I can do in terminal?

OP
Hexen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just got off the phone with Apple support. They can't find the problem either. All they told me to do was the exact same thing that the article did. After I told them that I already did everything including resetting the SMC, he just said I have to take it to the store. Looks like me and my Mac are taking a trip.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's not a software issue. If the SMC reset did not work, it's likely hardware or firmware related. Let the technicians at your local Apple store have a look at it.

OP
Hexen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I'm gonna go tomorrow or Saturday...after reading about the SMC reset I think there's a more serious problem than just the keyboard light because my battery meter is really erratic. One minute it can say that there is six hours remaining and the next it says three. Literally in a matter of minutes! It sucks though because my Mac is only a little over a week old.

OP
Hexen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I went to the Apple Store today. They couldn't figure out the problem. He just told me that the best bet for me would be to get a new MacBook. So tomorrow I need to go back with the box and I'm going to get a new one at no charge! Apple is one of the best companies that I've dealt with. When I called support they were really nice and now I'm going to get a replacement for something that is so miniscule, something that doesn't even affect what a computer needs to do, just something that is an extra feature. I'm shocked to say the least.

OP
Hexen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just got my new MacBook Pro and it's having the same problem. I did some research online and I found a similar thread on the Apple Support Forums. I"m starting to think that its a common problem now. Hopefully Apple does something about this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I just got my new MacBook Pro and it's having the same problem. I did some research online and I found a similar thread on the Apple Support Forums. I"m starting to think that its a common problem now. Hopefully Apple does something about this.

I wouldn't be calling it common. Your the 1st i have seen in this forum at least with the problem, and seems like you found 1 similar thread. I think you just having a case of the 'bad lucks' . . . . . Karma ? Have you been a good person ;)
But seriously, get back on the phone to Apple and see what they say. Double check you have it checked in System Pref.
I would be Repairing Permissions via Disk Utility 1st and see what that brings up.
Cant hurt

Cheers

OP
Hexen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Karma? Someone watched My Name is Earl:) I have made sure that I have it checked at least twenty times, every time that I check it is checked. I did the SMC reset more than once too. I'll try repairing permissions right now though, see if that helps...
Just finished the repairing. Still no luck. Any other ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No sorry none what so ever as its all be offered in previous posts.
Is that much of a nuisance?? I know its a new machine but is playing with the f5-f6 keys so much of a problem?
Personally if it was me, as it doesn't impede on the daily operation of the Mac, i would be putting up with it. The brightness only comes into play when I'm on battery or when in the dark and both those points don't happen often. Maybe bite the bullet ??
OR take it in to  again show them it doesn't work, they see it doesn't and ask what they can offer you as compensation if you keep the Mac ??
Just throwing things out there

Cheers

OP
Hexen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I know what your saying...it's not a big problem at all. I didn't even realize that it didn't work! The other day I was looking into it and I just wanted to fix it. I'm kind of stubborn so I couldn't just give it up. But I can give it up now. Other than that, I love my Mac. It does everything that I expected and then some. I guess I'll just wait and see if any updates come out. Thanks for all the suggestions though. This website is awesome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No worries. Remember though you have a whole 364 days left of warranty so in the future if you get OCD about it you can still replace it and they already have you on file as swapping another out for the same problem. Good luck and enjoy :)

OP
Hexen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I know this thread is a couple of months old but my wife just made an account on my computer and the ambient sensors work when she's logged in (I'm the super user). When I switch from her account to mine and when I go to the login window and back to mine the lights remain working until I press F5 or F6. Does anyone have an idea of what can be the cause of this? I'm relieved that it's not a hardware/software issue but I would still like to know why this is and if it's fixable. Thanks in advance

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.