• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

KEUKENHOF TULIP PARADE.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 inch iMac - Ventura. iPhones 8 and MacBook Air - Catalina.
Hi, it is that time of year again when the tulip industry in Northern Holland give the general public a Flower Parade the beggars belief. This year it is scheduled for APRIL 17th. I think the corona virus will have a say in it as to whether it happens or not. A wonderful preview can be seen on line simply type Keukenhof Flower Parade into your search engine and Wikipedia will do the rest. I have seen it in reality and it will live in my memory until I die, a spectacle well worth the effort.

Regards Keith in Derby England.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Twenty years since I first visited Keukenhof but I still have tulips growing from bulbs bought there.

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Sue, Nice to know you enjoyed your visit to Keukenhof and even nicer to know your bulbs are still flowering. Have you ever seen the parade of flower laden vehicles? If not then a visit at that time would be very well worth the effort.

Regards from Keith in Derby.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Not seen the parade. Easy to get to the Netherlands from where I live on Tyneside - daily flights and sailing (excepting lockdown) - and I love Amsterdam. 459569F1-FCEB-401F-AB37-3C72D55A6CFC.jpeg

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sue, I share your love of Amsterdam, as you say:- a beautiful City. I spent three years at RAF Llarbruch in Germany not far away from Amsterdam just over the border and visited with amazing regularity. All that was many years ago - 1967 to 1970!

Regards from Keith in Derby.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Keukenhof is on my wife's bucket list. Trying to sort out how and when we might make it there. She went there as a child when her dad was assigned to NATO.

@Keith, Laarbruch, eh? What did you do in Laarbruch, may I ask? I was on exchange to the Royal Navy in the mid-70s, 809 Squadron, out of RAF Honington, flying Buccaneers. We occasionally went to visit the light blue Bucc squadron at Laarbruch.

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jake, I was a Corporal MT Driver stationed at Laarbruch from late 1967 until late 1970. Main duties were NCO I/c MT stores and then the Tyre bay. I also spent time in the detail office but not really my scene in there - would sooner be working manually than office work (too boring). Lived on the station and evening times were spent as a fully trained-up certificated projectionist at the Station Cinema, well worth a few Marcs (German money) per show - beer money after the show as well as a beer or two in Weeze! I have lots of fond memories from those years!!! Worked with the American Air Force Detachment as well!!!
Does TACIVAL and MINIVAL mean anything to you?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, thank you for serving. I don't know much about Laarbruch, but the 2.5 years we spent in England with the RN triggered our fondness for all of UK. Hoping to get back there later this year and then again in Spring 2022.

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jake, I also spent a few months at RAF Honington, we were lodgers there from RAF Barnham in it's glory years. I was there around 1956/57 for a few months before being moved to RAF Feltwell. We are in American Airbase counties now; also spent a few months at RAF Brize Norton when it was an American Airbase - 1958 I think! FULL REMENICE MODE NOW JAKE! Got offered a free flight to the 'USofA boy' by a visiting aircrew but they did not get back in the UK in time for me to start work on Monday.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I seem to recall that one of the more popular watering holes was The Dog at Norton. Also a terrific chip shop in Ixworth. Most of those brain cells are retired now. But overall it was great fun!

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Morning Jake, the days of travelling round are now completely curtailed. Physically I am a wreck when compared to bygone years, I am in constant fear of falling down because of Meniere's Disease. OK I know how to fall and injuries are very rare but the very act of rising is impossible because I am now so weak. Oh, I do not want any pity because that is the way it is for me and I accept it. Funny as it may seem I think due to ongoing development I would be lost in my own hometown! What a state to get into!!!

Regards from Keith in Derby England.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.