Kernel panic - bad RAM?

Reaction score
Looking for some help please.

My MacBook had recently stopped working (never completing start up, screen working/not working/keyboard working/not working). I took it to a Genius Bar and the Diagnostic test came back as a pass (apart from the battery).

So I reinstalled the OS in recovery mode and now when I try to boot up I get a kernel panic.

Could anyone please tell me what this is in relation to?

Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2485 copy.jpg
    IMG_2485 copy.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 8

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yes...bad RAM can be a source of kernel panics.

What model MacBook is this?

Is it an older model with user replaceable RAM? If so...and if it has more than one stick of RAM currently installed...you could try removing 1 stick of RAM at a time & see if this helps.

If it's a newer MacBook with non-user replaceable RAM...can't really do any testing with the RAM.

Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Yes...bad RAM can be a source of kernel panics.

What model MacBook is this?

Is it an older model with user replaceable RAM? If so...and if it has more than one stick of RAM currently installed...you could try removing 1 stick of RAM at a time & see if this helps.

If it's a newer MacBook with non-user replaceable RAM...can't really do any testing with the RAM.

Nick
Hi Nick

Thanks for your time.

Unfortunately, it has onboard RAM so nothing I can do there...its a. 12" MacBook from around 2015/16...so it's done well...

It seemed strange because I was still able to format the HD and install teh OS again but then got the errors in the attached photo on the OP when I tried to restart.

best

Paul

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately, it has onboard RAM so nothing I can do there...
Too bad.:(

Can you clarify the Apple Genius bar visit for us please? Are you saying you were having issues before visiting the Genius Bar...you were able to show these issues to the Apple person...then the Apple folks tested your MacBook & it came back as passed?

If this is all true...how could the Apple person see there was an issue/issues...they tested it & it came back "passed"...and the Apple person wasn't scratching their head wondering what was up (how could a computer with a visible issue come back as "passed")?

Thanks,

Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Can you clarify the Apple Genius bar visit for us please? Are you saying you were having issues before visiting the Genius Bar...you were able to show these issues to the Apple person...then the Apple folks tested your MacBook & it came back as passed?

If this is all true...how could the Apple person see there was an issue/issues...they tested it & it came back "passed"...and the Apple person wasn't scratching their head wondering what was up (how could a computer with a visible issue come back as "passed")?
Yes, it had suddenly stopped starting up properly.

Sometimes I would get as far as the password and the keyboard wouldn't work. Sometimes I could enter the password but the OS locked after that. Much of the time I would start up and not even hear the chime and the screen would stay black.

When they ran the diagnostic at the Genius Bar I also queried how it could be a pass (apart from battery) and they recommended reinstalling the OS ("because all the hardware is OK". Tried multiple times to start up into Recovery and eventually it did, so I formatted and reinstalled the OS. Then the kernel panic.

If I leave it switched off for a few days, I can usually start up as far as the kernel panic. Otherwise when I startup the screen stays black and no chime but the Touchpad clicks!

best

Paul

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all the extra info.:)

You mentioned something about the battery. Is the battery bad/missing/etc?

Depending on what's up with the battery...sometimes an Apple laptop/notebook won't run properly with a bad battery...or a missing/removed battery...even if it's plugged into the wall with the power supply.

Please let us know exactly what model MacBook this is. Depending on the model...we may have other options to explore.

Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for all the extra info.:)

You mentioned something about the battery. Is the battery bad/missing/etc?

Depending on what's up with the battery...sometimes an Apple laptop/notebook won't run properly with a bad battery...or a missing/removed battery...even if it's plugged into the wall with the power supply.

Please let us know exactly what model MacBook this is. Depending on the model...we may have other options to explore.

Nick
I did wonder whether the battery could be causing this issue. Maybe this explains why if I haven't; switched on for a few days it generally lets me start to Recovery.

Model is MacBook A1534 MJY42 12"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.