k i am sorry i know this is asked a billion times but i need more opininons

Reaction score
i am going to college rutgers and what is better iwork2008 or office 2008 plAEAS HELP ME my collge eduacton depends on it lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD
We bought iLife with our new iMac, and it's done everything Office has done on our old XP machine. As far as I know, it saves documents and works back and forth between Office

Google is a good buddy ;)

Reaction score
i think they both work perfectly fine. however to save yourself from headache becuse you will have enough in school i suggest office because you will most likely be working with the on campus computer which are all windows. same fronts same everything. hope it helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
We bought iLife with our new iMac, and it's done everything Office has done on our old XP machine. As far as I know, it saves documents and works back and forth between Office

iLife is software to deal with movies, images, websites, etc.. i believe you are referring to iwork (pages, keynote, numbers)

i would get office. neooffice is a nice subtitute. but i do think that when it comes to professional documents, nothing beats office.

i have tried neooffice, office, iwork, and several other applications (including abiword) and nothing has been as efficient or useful as ms word.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I own iWork 2008 and love it for the basic work I do, BUT for you there at College I would suggest Microsoft Office. I would bet they use it there at your school and there will be no compatibility issues to get in the way if you stick with Microsoft. There is NeoOffice for free like was mentioned, but again I recommend Office for your situation.

Like you said "College education depends on it" and for that reason, go with Office.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Hey, a fellow Rutgers student!! Go Scarlet Knights!! ;P

I say just get yourself a copy of Office. It'll make your life a lot easier when sharing documents or submitting them online (a lot of Rutgers professors have started online submissions for papers).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I own iWork, I have Office (windows version running on Xp/Fusion) but i use NeoOffice. I'm trying to learn Pages and Numbers (honest) but when I'm in a hurry NeoOffice seems more intuitive and more like Office. It has it's frustrations and I still haven't properly fathomed out mail merge with either of the mac products but apart from that all are good products. NeoOffice is free of course.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac, macbook, iphone4S, ipad2
I agree with the chaps above - pages is great for more page layout type documents and sure gives you polished results but for sheer compatibility and ease then for for office. You don't need to buy the latest version either. I use the latest one but my wife uses the last version of office for mac and it works just fine. You can save yourself a tonne of money that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro w/ Snow Leopard, iPhone 3GS
Well, I've ordered iWork and everyone I've asked says it runs fine with Office in terms of exporting and reading documents/spreadsheets etc. If you want to be safe, get Office.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
matt.coolbrown,

If you decide to get Office 2008, you need to know it does not contain Outlook. Instead, there is comparable program called Entourage (you might want to check that out if you use Outlook). But it does have Power Point, which may be useful for your presentations in college.

Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Office 2008, Student Edition. There are many features in Word that really help with writing college papers, especially the citation and sources manager which is completely absent in iWork.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Office 2008, Student Edition. There are many features in Word that really help with writing college papers, especially the citation and sources manager which is completely absent in iWork.

That is the the number one reason as to why a college student should get Office. The citation tool is a godsend when you're writing papers. There are a ton of other small features that make Office simply the better choice for college students.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I agree with all of the above. That Office is probably the best idea for what you are after. But personally I don't like the layout of word so much and how it does things. So when I have to use word, I just type things up in appleworks and then import them into word. Works for me fine. Well that's if you can find appleworks for cheap. You should be able to at various places.

Btw if you are wanting to use Appleworks on 10.5 You'll need to read this thread I made.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=560395#post560395

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Office 2008. All you need is one lecturer who will not accept work in any format other than Word to cause all sorts of stress.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD
iLife is software to deal with movies, images, websites, etc.. i believe you are referring to iwork (pages, keynote, numbers)

My bad, thanks for reminding me - I keep on mixing those up!

Seeing that Word has the citation tool, I'd prefer Office 2008, but I have another year before I have to worry about typing college papers!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.