• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Just Curious....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook, macbook pro, ipod, nano
Hi everyone...

I'm new to the forum and a student. I was doing a paper and was wondering a few things. Therefore, I posted a poll to get some ideas and understanding about the forum. Anyone who has some additional comments, please feel free to respond to the post as well.

Thanks sooooo much..:)

-Joy

OP
joyrobinson
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook, macbook pro, ipod, nano
hmmm

Marketing.

Marketing defines this mac culture? Does that mean to say that without the marketing (I assume you refer to the current mac commercials) we would not feel the same about the Mac brand or Apple products?

Does not our experiences above and beyond 'marketing' shape and define our impressions, as well? I would hate to think we all are totally led by someone else's ideas.

-joy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Don't listen to them, they are both avowed anti-Apple bigots. Most of us can not even figure out why they bother to hang here other than to stir things up and cause problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Marketing defines this mac culture? Does that mean to say that without the marketing (I assume you refer to the current mac commercials) we would not feel the same about the Mac brand or Apple products?

Does not our experiences above and beyond 'marketing' shape and define our impressions, as well? I would hate to think we all are totally led by someone else's ideas.

-joy

Nope, just marketing. Marketing is basically getting a person to buy something and it doesn't have to be a commercial, in fact I think the new mac vs pc ads are dumb. Look at the iPod. It made Apple, a computer company, a ton of money off of an MP3 player with a "cool" image. I mean, the "It just works" thing is brilliant. Do you know how many people quote this? There's even people on this board that switch because they're tired of Microsoft's OS's not working and because Apple computers "Just work", then get reeeeeally fed up when things just don't work for them.

You should understand, there's always going to be problems. Even if the perfect OS is built, it's not going to be perfect for everyone. An uneducated person might not be able to use it. But you have so many people buying into a brand because "It just works"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Don't listen to them, they are both avowed anti-Apple bigots. Most of us can not even figure out why they bother to hang here other than to stir things up and cause problems.

Maybe because I own a mac and a pc and use both unbiasedly. If you want to see a product of marketing, Baggss is a great example.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I dunno baggss, marketing plays a big role in how people view a product. Apple has always pushed this image of being the David to Microsoft's Goliath. They have a huge emphasis on brand loyalty. I mean, when was the last time you heard of Microsoft fanboys (if such a thing exists) being as fervent as hardcore Apple enthusiasts. There are so many parodies of Apple fanboys who would think a white POS from Apple was a godsend, when looked at in reality, it's just a POS.

Marketing has done a splendid job of making Apple=cool. In reality, it's just a bunch of electronics, not some drops of heaven. Sure, the Apple "experience" is better than the Microsoft experience, so at least you're getting something for being an Apple fan.

The "zen of Mac" stuff is just a bunch of crazy people using the company for a sense of identity.

So I guess the most accurate choice from the ones you have provided would probably be the last since that most closely correlates with marketing and fanboys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I dunno baggss, marketing plays a big role in how people view a product. Apple has always pushed this image of being the David to Microsoft's Goliath. They have a huge emphasis on brand loyalty. I mean, when was the last time you heard of Microsoft fanboys (if such a thing exists) being as fervent as hardcore Apple enthusiasts. There are so many parodies of Apple fanboys who would think a white POS from Apple was a godsend, when looked at in reality, it's just a POS.

Marketing has done a splendid job of making Apple=cool. In reality, it's just a bunch of electronics, not some drops of heaven. Sure, the Apple "experience" is better than the Microsoft experience, so at least you're getting something for being an Apple fan.

The "zen of Mac" stuff is just a bunch of crazy people using the company for a sense of identity.

So I guess the most accurate choice from the ones you have provided would probably be the last since that most closely correlates with marketing and fanboys.

If marketing didn't have anything to do with it, wouldn't we all be using linux?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe because I own a mac and a pc and use both unbiasedly. If you want to see a product of marketing, Baggss is a great example.

Unbiased? Sure.....

Yes, I am a product of Apples marketing genus. I sprang to life in 1977 and bleed multi-colors if you cut me. I love it when you jump to conclusions like that.

2_thumbs_up_-_animated.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Unbiased? Sure.....

Yes, I am a product of Apples marketing genus. I sprang to life in 1977 and bleed multi-colors if you cut me. I love it when you jump to conclusions like that.

2_thumbs_up_-_animated.gif

Heh...pot or kettle, take your pick.

Bill Gates is the anti christ right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Dude, just drop it. It's not worth arguing with him. You would get more accomplished trying to resurrect a dead man :radioacti

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Heh...pot or kettle, take your pick.

Bill Gates is the anti christ right?

Funny you should bring that up. I never claimed he was, that was simply your spin on the discussion. Another assumption you randomly made there....

Dude, just drop it. It's not worth arguing with him. You would get more accomplished trying to resurrect a dead man :radioacti

Who's arguing? We're just having a friendly discussion right now. You'll know when we start arguing...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Closing the thread. Take this as a warning to every person in this thread...

Personal respect is of utmost importance here. We will no longer tolerate the childish behavior demonstrated in this thread.

Either learn to be respectful, or do not post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.