Reaction score
Hi guys

So Ive bought the following:

Early 2009 Mac Pro with
8gb 1066ram,
2.66 quad core processor
1tb hard drive
26' apple screen.

I got it for quite a good price so I guess I need to know what to do next lol.

I will be running Reason 6 on it for music production with a midi-keyboard.

Can anyone advise what upgrade I should do first? I understand it will take time to get a solid machine but Im guessing the first thing I need to do is buy an ssd? If so, do I need to buy or do anything else in order to install it...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
An SSD should be an easy install.
Question - which OS X version does it have - do you have any install media (DVD or USB flash drive, etc)? You need to be able to install OS X on the SSD (or at least that's what I'd do).

Will Reason 6 run on Yosemite?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I got it for quite a good price so I guess I need to know what to do next lol.

You could just use it…and see how things go.:)

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
An SSD should be an easy install.
Question - which OS X version does it have - do you have any install media (DVD or USB flash drive, etc)? You need to be able to install OS X on the SSD (or at least that's what I'd do).

Will Reason 6 run on Yosemite?

Thanks guys

I'm not sure it has the os on a disk or usb...will that be a problem? Is it possible to move everything over to the ssd without reinstalling?

In addition, the ssd looks like it needs sone sort of adapter. .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Depends what the operating system is. Later digital downloads work fine off a thumb drive. Suggest you get an external drive in a FW800 caddy and back evereything up first, format and erase the drive and do a clean install, then with the external connected, use Migration Assistant in Utilities to transfer over.

Some larger apps like MS Office and Adobe may require re-activation so keep the discs and codes handy.

OP
D
Reaction score
Depends what the operating system is. Later digital downloads work fine off a thumb drive. Suggest you get an external drive in a FW800 caddy and back evereything up first, format and erase the drive and do a clean install, then with the external connected, use Migration Assistant in Utilities to transfer over.

Some larger apps like MS Office and Adobe may require re-activation so keep the discs and codes handy.

Thanks guys

As Im buying this second hand, can anyone advise me about what I should do before I take it home? Does he have to sign it out of Itunes or de-authorise anything..?

Regarding system discs, I doubt I will be given them, can anyone advise if the right software can downloaded onto another computer and then transferred over...?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can anyone think of some other checks I need to do regarding the picking up of my purchase...

Boot it up & make sure everything works before handing over the cash.

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Boot it up & make sure everything works before handing over the cash.

- Nick

Well the good news is it works!

Its running on 10.9.4 which I think is Mavericks.

Due to its specs, should I leave it on that platform for the moment?

Also the startup is pretty slow, Im guessing thats the hard drive....?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also the startup is pretty slow, Im guessing thats the hard drive....?

Whenever I purchase a used computer…I always erase, reformat, and do a fresh install of the OS. This eliminates any left over gunk, garbage, or problems from the previous owner.

If you do this…and things still seem slow…the hard drive may be failing.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
To use an SSD, you'll want to install OS X on the SSD and use the other hard drive for either your entire home folder (/Users/yourUsername) or, the larger folders (Music, Videos, Photos, etc) within your home folder. So, you may or may not be able to copy directly from your current hard drive. A USB installer flash drive for a clean install or emergency reinstall is important to have. You probably need to ask the previous owner (since he likely previously downloaded Mavericks, and therefore has it still available on the iTunes App store) to download and create the bootable installer.
Create a bootable installer for OS X Mavericks or Yosemite - Apple Support
How to Create an OS X Mavericks USB Installation Drive

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks guys

Well, Ive got the original disc, however its scratched pretty heavily. It seems mavericks is no longer available aswell :-(. So, is there any way for me to do transfer the installation to my ssd now?

Regarding my machine though, will it be able to take Yosemite? Even with an ssd...?

Oh and another thing now, the display keeps flashing on and off...can anyone suggest a solution for this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 2G 8GB, 3X iPhone 4 8GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPod Touch 4G 16GB, iPhone 7 256GB, iPad 2, iPad Air
What are the original disks ???
What OS i mean

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.