Junos Pulse Client on OS X Yosemite

Reaction score
I'm trying to run the Junos Pulse client (VPN) on my Macbook Pro (OS X Yosemite) and keep getting the following error message: "Hotspot restricting network access" - any suggestions? Thanks for the help

OP
R
Reaction score
not sure how much clearer I can get as this is the problem that I'm having. Is there specific information that you need that will enable you to solve the problem? Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm trying to run the Junos Pulse client (VPN) on my Macbook Pro (OS X Yosemite) and keep getting the following error message: "Hotspot restricting network access" - any suggestions? Thanks for the help

Have you checked the Indiana U knowledge base? It appears the Junos Pulse client is for iOS devices. LINK

OP
R
Reaction score
The Junos Pulse client that I'm using is the following: ps-pulse-mac-5.1r1.1-b52267-installer.dmg. I am aware of the iOS client but I believe this one is specific for OS X

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Everything I've read about the Junos Pulse Client for OS X shows that installation is straight forward. However, I suspect that the client likely needs to be updated for Yosemite. You need to contact their support and ask them if their client is compatible with Yosemite.

OP
R
Reaction score
Everything I've read about the Junos Pulse Client for OS X shows that installation is straight forward. However, I suspect that the client likely needs to be updated for Yosemite. You need to contact their support and ask them if their client is compatible with Yosemite.
Thank you!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I would guess you have Hotspot Shield installed and running while trying to launch yet another VPN.

Reaction score
Junos Pulse

The point chas_m was making that saying you have an error message needs to be prefaced with the steps that you took and/or the steps that worked. In this case, it sounds like it is installed/running and you are getting the error when you go to make the secure connection. Are you authenticating using credentials (username/password)? I would assume so. Are you getting the error before or after you have entered your credentials? This is not likely a Mac-specific issue, more of an issue with the environment Pulse needs in order to make a secure connection. To find a solution, I recommend you make contact with the IT Support for whomever's network you are trying to connect to, since they know specifically what their network rules/policies are and could likely tell you what you need to do differently.

Also, there is an extensive troubleshooting document here which may be helpful. In general, Junos Pulse likes a "clean/straight shot" between your device and the local gateway to the Internet. If that gateway is a public hotspot, it likely sees it as a security risk and won't connect.

On a more general note to other things mentioned in this forum, Junos Pulse has an installer in Mac/Windows environments, but in iOS/Android environments, it is downloaded/installed from the App Store/Google Play stores, respectively. It is a great multiplatform option for secure network access.

I don't work for Junos, but I do support Pulse in all of the above OS environments for a large healthcare company.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.