junk mail

Reaction score
sierra osx, keep getting mail from a spammer who changes the domain name, tried to set a rule and lost all my inbox mail.... am on a private server and all that can be done from there is put each individual email on a black list
but each new junk has a different address
"subscriptions@ ( ever changing )"
any method in rules to send this stuff straight to trash
thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
If all such e-mails are coming from an Address containing "subscriptions@", you should be able to easily set up a Mail Rule[/B.

And I have no idea why you lost all your e-mails previously creating such a rule Unless you have something that automatically empty your Mail Trash, and I'm assuming that is what you are using.

- Patrick
======

OP
denniscampbell
Reaction score
mail is set up to delete trash when mail is shut down.....could you be a little more specific about the rules, an obvious fail when last attempted ....there are no set rules to choose from only recipients and actions is your reply a typo having hard time making sense ....
(Why am i getting message to short)

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Dennis

In my simple view of things, it's not a good idea to have "Delete Trash" either automatically or when Mail is shut down. Why? Because any one of us can make a mistake and there is no second chance.

If you were to change things so that you manually deleted the Trash contents, you could write a rule like this:

Screenshot 2020-06-11 at 10.49.01 pm?.png

It's only an idea. It allows for the possibility that a genuine subscription at or to something wouldn't be lost.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
In my simple view of things, it's not a good idea to have "Delete Trash" either automatically or when Mail is shut down.

Thanks Ian, and I would agree with you completely.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
sierra osx, keep getting mail from a spammer who changes the domain name, tried to set a rule and lost all my inbox mail..
any method in rules to send this stuff straight to trash

Give up on trying to create rules to keep up with spam. This is the best $30 you will ever spend. Get:

SpamSieve ($30)
SpamSieve: Easy-to-use Mac spam filter for Apple Mail, Outlook, Airmail, MailMate, and more

SpamSieve can't be fooled by changing addresses or any of the other things that spammers try. I have it installed and it is blocking an average of 45 spam messages a day for me, at 99.9% efficiency! (SpamSieve keeps statistics on these things.)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have to agree with Randy. I've actually recommended it in a previous thread. I'm not using it at the moment because Mail has been pretty good for me in handling spam without modifications. Today I went through the junk folder a bit though and found several emails that were marked as junk that I'd rather they not be marked as such.

Let me be clear. The emails in question are attempting to sell me things so in one respect could be considered spam. The problem is several of these emails come from companies I've purchased from before. Normally I'll look at one of these emails quickly and if there's nothing interesting/no special deal I send it to the trash.

I think that over time Mail starts to treat these messages as spam and I never see them. The result is over time emails get treated inconsistently. Sometimes emails from one company makes it to my inbox and, possibly, after several deletions, similar emails from the same company gets treated as spam. Judging from today's foray into the Junk folder I'm back in a phase where this is happening more than I'd like.

OP
denniscampbell
Reaction score
Give up on trying to create rules to keep up with spam. This is the best $30 you will ever spend. Get:

SpamSieve ($30)
SpamSieve: Easy-to-use Mac spam filter for Apple Mail, Outlook, Airmail, MailMate, and more

SpamSieve can't be fooled by changing addresses or any of the other things that spammers try. I have it installed and it is blocking an average of 45 spam messages a day for me, at 99.9% efficiency! (SpamSieve keeps statistics on these things.)

Randy thanks for the heads up will look into it

OP
denniscampbell
Reaction score
slydude,
I get ads from companies having done business w/ them and only because email is a requirement.... they get lost in the aether over time "the spam treatment" happens with some valued mail and i have to be careful they dont get trashed but once back in the inbox seems to rectify the issue .........thanks for the input

OP
denniscampbell
Reaction score
Ian and Patrick
thanks for the help, is appreciated will track on the suggestions and see if the rule set up works for the problem.
d

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
slydude,
I get ads from companies having done business w/ them and only because email is a requirement.... they get lost in the aether over time "the spam treatment" happens with some valued mail and i have to be careful they dont get trashed but once back in the inbox seems to rectify the issue .........thanks for the input
That's what I've been doing and it works reasonably well. SpamSieve has been around a while and if the developer is who I think it is, he used to publish an e-zine called About This Particular Macintosh. I did some writing forthemback in the day and he's about as solid a Mac guy as you'll find anywhere.

Reaction score
slydude,
..."the spam treatment" happens with some valued mail and i have to be careful they dont get trashed ...

Note that you train SpamSieve and it learns. Ads that you value don't get marked as spam once you train SpamSieve to them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.