Java Runtime Environment

Reaction score
Every time I start up, I'm asked to download and run the Java Runtime Environment. Why? How can I fix this issue?
I have an iMac Air.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Without any further info, I can only give you a guess..... And that is you have an application that's trying to start up when you start your Mac and that application needs the JRE in order to run.

OP
W
Reaction score
Admin...
I tried that. No luck. I have upgraded the JRE per request, several times.
What else do I need to give by way of details in order to get more accurate assistance?

Also, I keep getting asked to upgrade Flash Player, along with a new tab with very sketchy content, trying to lure me in.

I have not upgraded this request or anything else to this point.

A little guidance would be most appreciated.

M

MacInWin

It works better if you refer to posts by the poster's name, not title. So in that case, you should use "chscag" just so everybody knows who you are referring to.
I tried that. No luck.
Tried what? chscag didn't suggest anything to do, just that he suspected something in your startup. What did you try? What happened?
I have upgraded the JRE per request, several times.
What else do I need to give by way of details in order to get more accurate assistance?
See the link in my sig. And chscag was "accurate" but if what you meant was "more pertinent" or "more appropriate" assistance, you need to tell us more about what you are doing and seeing, as the link says.

Also, I keep getting asked to upgrade Flash Player, along with a new tab with very sketchy content, trying to lure me in.

I have not upgraded this request or anything else to this point.

A little guidance would be most appreciated.
Unrelated topics should be separate threads, but since you put this here, we can address it here. The one secure way to update Flash is through System Preferences. Open the Flash pane from there and get the latest update. I ignore all unsolicited prompts for Flash because hackers use that to get you to install crapware.

OH, and welcome to the forum. Once you figure out how to give us more meaningful information, you'll find it a very friendly place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Retina MacBook Pro, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD
Hey

I just upgraded to 10.10.2 and now get this message "To view this web content you need to install the Java Runtime Environment" ??

I have updated my java to the latest 8.31 and every time I reboot, this message is the first thing that pops up.

What's up with this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Retina MacBook Pro, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD
After checking the Java website. They seem to think it is a leftover bit of java 6 that apple use to support.

Maybe a clean install will get rid of this problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.