iWork Pages theme formatting issue -

Reaction score
I've designed a theme for iWork Pages version 5.2.2. I am running iOS Mavericks.

When I open the theme on my computer, the formatting shows up correctly. However, when some of my co-workers open it, several areas appear differently.

I've attached some screenshots of the errors we're seeing inside of Pages - let me know if you have any questions related to the image, but it should be fairly clear.

After extensive poking around, I cannot figure out what the problem is. I believe it relates somehow to word wrapping or a formatting option inside of Pages -

Originally I thought the fix would be under File > Convert to Word Processing / Convert to Page Layout, but that didn't seem to fix it.

Any help would be much appreciated! I'm available for quick responses so feel free to ask any questions you may have - Thanks!

Errors.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

I've designed a theme for iWork Pages version 5.2.2. I am running iOS Mavericks.

Let's start by correcting your statement above. There is no such operating system "iOS Mavericks". It's OS X Mavericks. iOS is for mobile devices.

When I open the theme on my computer, the formatting shows up correctly. However, when some of my co-workers open it, several areas appear differently.

Are your co-workers using the same version of Pages? Are their settings and page setup the same as yours?

OP
J
Reaction score
Yes, we are using the same versions. The screenshots above are from v 5.2.2..

I have looked through the settings that I would think are responsible for the inconsistencies, and they are the same. I would not guarantee that I have seen every single setting though - I was hoping there were some settings that someone knew of that may create these issues, so I can more accurately troubleshoot.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are the screenshots from print outs, print to PDF, or are they of the document preview before printing? The reason I ask is that I have found themes do not remain consistent when different printers are used.

Generally when transferring a theme from one user to another individual settings pretty much have to be the same in order to obtain the same results. (I know you stated that the settings are the same.) You might try creating a template which includes the theme you created and port it instead. I don't know if that will meet your requirements but may be worth a try.

OP
J
Reaction score
Example 1 and Example 2 are from the document preview (the template actually open inside of Pages). The 3rd example is after the documents are exported as PDFs.

When I said "theme" earlier, I meant "template". I will continue to look through settings to find anything that doesn't match..

Perhaps there is a way to revert Pages to default settings?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it's a template that you created, then it almost has to be a different setting on the machine it was ported to. You can revert Pages back to default settings and basic page setup by removing the template.

OP
J
Reaction score
I'm sorry, that seems a bit unclear to me -

Do you mean remove the Template from the Choose a Template > My Templates menu? Would I then resave it as a template and try again?

I've done a few searches on reverting Pages back to default settings, and there isn't much help..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, you don't have to remove the template. Just don't use it to create a document and Pages will default back to basic settings. As a matter of fact that's one of the annoying things I dislike about the new Pages; it will default back to basic settings even after I have set up a blank document to my liking.

To be honest, I don't use Pages very much in my work. I use MS Word 2011 for Mac which in my opinion is far superior. However, since Pages is free with a new Mac and MS Office is over $100, I can well understand the reason for using it. :)

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for your help, but not being able to use the template isn't really an option. I will be sure to update you if I figure out what the fix was though.

MS Word is probably much better for word processing, but Pages is far superior in layout and design functionality, so our Mac users use it for client proposals.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.