I've found the terminal but it's dimmed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 - 1.2 GB RAM - 28GB HD
Cannot access this utility & would like to have some practice with it.

My system consists of iBook G4 with iOS 10.5.8. As you might foresee I'm a newbie to Apple's stuff.

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by a moderator:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My system consists of iBook G4 with iOS 10.5.8. As you might foresee I'm a newbie to Apple's stuff.

Yes you are new.;) Apple computers have "OS's"…other Apple devices like iPad's & iPhone's run on iOS's. A terminology thing.:)

The thread title says "deemed" do you mean "dimmed"?

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for replying so fast pigoo3!

I'm very sorry for that glitch (too many hours on the computer fetching for different kinds of info on many subjects): yes, I wanted to mean dimmed.

As for the other part of my post I just copied/pasted what appeared on the little window that splashed on the screen after clicking on the apple icon at the upper-left corner of the screen supposing it was the operating system's name.

The following pasted info hope contains the necessary info:

>System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L31a)
Kernel Version: Darwin 9.8.0
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Boot Mode: Normal
Computer Name: user’s iBook G4
User Name: user (user)
Time since boot: 7:52

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Are you referring to the icon or the actual window itself?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm very sorry for that glitch (too many hours on the computer fetching for different kinds of info on many subjects): yes, I wanted to mean dimmed.

No problems…just wanted to be sure so I could reply appropriately.

Go to:

- the hard drive icon & open it (double click)
- open the Applications Folder
- open the Utilities folder

If the Terminal app is properly installed on this computer…it should be here.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks vansmith for intervening!

I hope your question is directed to me and, as such, I'll answer it.

When you go to that window that has at least 2 panes (left one has Desktop, User, Applications, Documents, etc. --not necessarily in this order) and you select one of them then the information at its' right gets updated & changes according to what you're picking up from the left; many of the info appearing on the different right panes appear dimmed. In my case, under Utility, if I'm not wrong, it appears Terminal but the whole line is dimmed.

Now, under System Profiler & under Applications it appears Console but I don't know if it's referring to the same piece of software or not. In any case, here it's not dimmed.

What's the best (usual) way to get to the software you're looking for with this equipment? Until now I've been using system profiler to check what's where & finder. BTW, this was given to me & was purchased already used, this means no manual included...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm a little confused here and I think this might be a case of "a picture is worth a thousand words." Can you take a screenshot for me and post it here? To do this, push Command-Shift-4, then press spacebar and then click the window that you want to take a screenshot of (in this case, the Finder window). The screenshot will appear on the desktop.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all replies to both of you!

After double clicking on the Macintosh HD icon on the desktop it opened a window with many alternatives. I finally found an easy way to get around thanks to you guys! I'll be busy for a few days...

Edit: How can I/someone mark this thread as solved?

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After double clicking on the Macintosh HD icon on the desktop it opened a window with many alternatives.

You did exactly what you needed to do.:) Also...I did describe the "path" you could use to find Terminal in my post above. But you never responded to my post.:(

Edit: How can I/someone mark this thread as solved?

We don't do any such marking. From your last post it sounds like you found a solution that you are pleased with…so good to go.:)

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry for passing over your post, pigoo3!

You're right when saying I'm with the answer I was looking for. Thanks very much because I indeed used your approach.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.