iTunes

Reaction score
So I am a music producer and I get between 400-500 mp3s of music a month if not more some months. In my iTunes I create a playlist and I call the playlist by the month (ie. August 19' or August 07'). I been doing this for about fourteen years now making these playlists by the month. At the end of each month I select all the mp3s and copy them to my external hard drive as a back up in case my MacBook takes a crap. Now after fourteen years it seems that iTunes will not let me drag and drop mp3s on to my external hard drive. My external HD is FAT32, I even reformatted a USB stick to Mac OS Journal format and it would not let me copy the mp3s. I don't know if this has to do with iTunes going away and no longer being supported but pretty ****ed if they won't let me back up my music selection by the month.

I know I can backup the music by artist but I need to do it by month/year which the music library is not organized by. Music library is only by Artist folders. Just seeing if anyone is experiencing this or heard of this. Thanks!

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums.

I'll do my best to help. First question though is what version of iTunes are you running (the latest is 12.9.5.5)?

I have, by experiment, confirmed that you cannot drag or copy a Playlist to an External source (USB Stick or External Hard Drive (EHD)).

In fact, you surprised me by saying that you have done this for 14 years because a Playlist is, in reality, a link to music contained in your iTunes Library.

What you CAN do, however is open the playlist, then highlight all the songs there in (Command +A); then Command + C and Command +V on to the External source. This retrieves the songs from the main library and allows you to copy them.

Thus, whilst you cannot copy the Playlist as such, you can copy the contents to an EHD. To play them, however, usually needs iTunes or an equivalent music player.

Not sure if this helps you or not.

Please post back.

Ian

Reaction score
I am a IOs user for a long time and also I have been using iTunes for a long term. Initially I did not faced any kind of error but after that I have started facing some of the error on the iTunes and I was not able to fix the error. Than after going though on the internet I have found one of the thread where I have found the process of how to Fix iTunes Error 0xe8000015. I would suggest you to go through this thread and it will be useful if you can guide more to fix the error.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.