iTunes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 MacBook Pro 13" | iPad Air 2 | Apple Watch 3 | iPhone XS
I searched the forums for a little while, but couldn't find anything specific to this issue I'm having.

I'm running the newest version of Yosemite 10.10.3, all software is up-to-date.

I was listening to a Daughtry album and realized that it was skipping over certain songs (not set to play random). When I looked at iTunes, songs 1-3 were solid black, 4-7 are greyed out, and when played iTunes is skipping over 4-7 and playing song 8.

If I double click on the greyed out songs they play with no problem, but when going to the next song it will go the next solid black song and skip the greyed out ones.

Any idea what's going on?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
How did you get this album of music? Was it imported from a CD? Purchased through iTunes? Can you click on the songs in solid black, hit CMD+i and note the information about where its located and so on and then hit next to see if it goes to the greyed out songs with similar information?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Some of the music we bought from Amazon before we opened any Apple products. This particular one I can't remember where got. I'm guessing from Amazon.

I did as you suggested with the CMD+i; it pulled up the info telling the song was an MPEG file. When I clicked next it went to the greyed out song no problem as well.

Should I convert these albums to AAC files?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The only time I've seen this happen on iTunes is with poorly encoded MP3s. Usually they aren't greyed out but skip randomly.

You might want to experiment converting one of the albums, greyed out songs and all, into AAC and see if the entire album plays or does the same kind of skipping..

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, so I tried an entire album of turning AAC files. So far it's working fine. Guess I'll be going thru my entire library and turning in AAC. :\:'(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.