itunes

Reaction score
right ladies and gents, i've moved from windows to apple and i was lead to believe that itunes on the mac was wonderful, i've got the lastest macbook pro i7 and was wondering why it takes over 30 seconds to play a mp3 off the hard drive.

vlc plays the file immediately, does itunes just suck on both platforms ?

Any ideas

cheers

migzy

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many devices to list
It shouldn't take that long - it should be near instant. Are these files on your machine or on an external drive? How many songs do you have in your library?

OP
M
Reaction score
the file i'm trying to play is right off the local hard drive,

once iTunes is running tunes play no with no issue from my NAS and it has around 280 gig of music on it

C

chas_m

You're confusing us ... or at least me. Are we talking about the NAS drive, or the hard drive in your machine?

The delay is VERY LIKELY to be coming from the need to re-mount and "spin up" the remote drive the first time you access it, as (I'm guessing) this is where your default iTunes library is, correct?

If so, it needs to access that library the first time you play ANYTHING, whether its on the local hard drive or the NAS. That's where the delay comes from, and why it plays fine for anything AFTER the first access.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2011, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 500gb
Are you saying it takes 30 seconds for iTunes to open or 30 seconds to play a file after it is already opened?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
the problem is off the hard drive on the machine, not the NAS

I take it you have a lot of music and how much free space on your hard drive do you have ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.