iTunes or iPhone?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GB Intel Core 2 [email protected] 750GB HDD
iTunes Version 12.0.1.26
iPhone Version 8.1

I updated my phone and laptop OS within the last few weeks. Since then as apps come due for update on the phone I have been trying to use iTunes to update them except they don't update. I update them through iTunes and iTunes shows the latest version of the app is installed. If I Sync the phone after update it SHOULD update the apps on the phone but they still show update required on the phone by a number showing up next to the App store icon on the phone. I end up having to update the phone apps through the phone and not via the computer.

Even after updating the app on the phone it still shows up in the update area as if it hasn't been updated. It doesn't say "Update" but instead says "Open". If I open it, it works as advertised yet won't go away from the update area and i still get the number next to the App Store icon which would indicate it still needs updated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know exactly how you're doing it but when I update iOS apps (iOS 8.1) for my iPhone and iPad using iTunes (latest version) a notation "update" shows up for each app when I attach the iPhone or iPad. I just click each app that says "update" and they're updated.

Of course I could likewise access the iTunes App store from my iPhone or iPad and update them directly. I prefer updating using iTunes first because it's faster and I can retain a copy of the app on my Mac.

OP
NAVET
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's how I update them. When I use iTunes that is. But when they update via iTunes, for whatever reason, the phone doesn't show/acknowledge they are updated and I'm not sure why. The notification that shows up on the phone letting me know they need updated remains even after I update the app in iTunes and then sync it to the phone. It's almost like the phone isn't letting the update notification go away.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah, that's not normal. When I do my app updates with my iPhone or iPad attached to my iMac they no longer show up as needing to be updated. After you do the updates, try rebooting your iPhone to see what happens. You shouldn't have to do it that way, but let's see if they get updated after the reboot.

OP
NAVET
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Waiting 5 seconds or 5 minutes to restart it after shutting it off doesn't help.

M

MacInWin

I've had that same problem. I found two workarounds, neither pretty. The first one is to watch on the "Update" tab on the phone to see what apps it thinks (for a few seconds) need updating (They quickly shift to "Open" but the flag doesn't go away). Now delete that app and reinstall. The counter is updated.

The second is harder to make work, but if you open the Apple Store App on the iPhone and then tap the "Update" button and very, very quickly tap the "Update" beside any app before it switches to "Open" it will begin a download of that, and will show the other apps triggering the flag as "Update" as well and let you install them. I've taken to letting the iPhone do the updates just so that the flags are set, then download into iTunes so that the two are in sync.

Apple needs to fix the beacon.

OP
NAVET
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I deleted the app from the phone, restarted the phone, updated the app in iTunes and then reinstalled it. Works but as you said MacInWin, it isn't pretty. It's a pain to have to delete, update and then reinstall the app.

M

MacInWin

Yeah, it is. So just go with updates on the iPhone, then let iTunes download the same update so that they are in sync. It's backwards, but works.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I too have managed to duplicate the problem described with the exception that if I update on the phone, and say I have 7 updates, after updating one the number on the icon changes to 6. The updated app is removed from the update list and put under a date for today as "Updated on Fri 14th November" with the Open button next to it. However the update banner on my iPhone apps list in iTunes does not disappear even after a sync.

M

MacInWin

Rod, the decrement from 7 to 6 is proper operation, and will eventually go away after all 7 are updated.

Syncing with iTunes does NOT change the update flag in iTunes, which is why I then download the same update on iTunes after letting the app update on the iPhone. That download resets the update flag in iTunes. If I do the reverse, download the update to iTunes, then sync to the phone to put the new app there, I randomly get the problem of the flag showing updates, but the update tab showing all as updated and no way of eliminating the flag and number. Except of course, the two tricks I mentioned.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yes, agreed both methods work. Really this has never presented a problem to me and I was totally unaware of it until NAVET posted the thread. I almost always perform updates on the device in question using WiFi rather than in iTunes. So I never looked at iPhone apps in iTunes.:D
Just goes to show how many ways there are of doing the same thing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.