iTunes deleting poscasts

Reaction score
I am new to the Mac... I recently switched from iTunes PC to iTunes Mac. On my PC iTunes, after I listened fully to podcasts on my ipod nano, iTunes would delete it from my ipod. Now on iTunes Mac, when I fully listen to a podcast it leaves it on the ipod. Where do I tell iTunes to delete these podcasts after I listen to them??? This is causing my ipod to fill up quickly and me having to manually delete things I have listened to.

Thanks!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
which Podcasts you keep is determined in the iTunes preferences > Podcasts tab

OP
D
Reaction score
Under the podcast tab is does say "keep all new episodes." Which would mean that it should delete all listened to episodes?? But it isn't....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac
Under the podcast tab is does say "keep all new episodes." Which would mean that it should delete all listened to episodes?? But it isn't....

Change it to "keep all unplayed episodes"

OP
D
Reaction score
This did not work... it is still leaving listened to podcasts on the ipod... ?????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This did not work... it is still leaving listened to podcasts on the ipod... ?????

Sorry forgot a step. Once you have set it to keep unplayed then you have to tell each subscription to "allow auto delete". Highlight all your subs and then ctrl click and from the contextual menu select "allow auto delete".

For some reason you have to do this even though it is selected in preferences. I guess it allows more control because you can have some auto delete and some not. (you also have to do this if you option click to reset the episodes)

OP
D
Reaction score
Uggghhh... still not removing them... this is frustrating because it worked so beautifully on the PC... I have been all over this program.... Any other ideas??

Under iTunes > Preferences > Podcasts:

Check for new episodes: everyday
When new epidoes are available: download all
Keep: all unplayed episodes

Under Devices > My ipod > Podcast tab:

Sync is checked (all new) epidoes of:
All podcasts is checked

Thanks for your help!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
And you are playing them all the way to the end? Not just stopping near the end?

OP
D
Reaction score
ok, I just synced and it worked but then listened to a couple more podcasts, synced and it didn't remove them. It seems to be a hit and miss??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
did you ctrl click and select "allow auto delete" for every podcast. (select all will do it.)

OP
D
Reaction score
Yes because now it says for each "do not auto delete" UGGGHHH!!! Something so simple, I know it!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.