iTunes - checkboxes next to podcasts?

Reaction score
I for the life of me can't figure out what the tiny checkboxes next to each podcast episode do. I check/uncheck it.. nothing seems to visually happen. What does it do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
Well, I assume the checkboxes work the same as in the other sections of iTunes
so if you uncheck a podcast, it won't be played in the list/playlist,
as in if the 2nd in the list is unchecked, and the 1st in the list has just finished, it will not play the 2nd one and jump straight to the 3rd in the list.

(All this assuming the checkboxes DO work the same way.)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Remain, you are totally correct. To be sure I tried it as I have a lot of Podcasts and un-checking makes it skip that one and go to the next one just like in the main library.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
I wish Apple would bring back the pre-iTunes 6 functionality of allowing unchecked items to not be synced. I manually manage my music, but have iTunes set to sync my podcasts, yet I'd like to say, "okay, here are some old ones I want to keep around, but I don't need on my iPod."

Before version 6 came out, there was an option for this, but it's gone now... :Not-Amused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
It's kinda strange actually; there's nothing in the iTunes Help file that mentions the checkboxes.
(virtually everything is covered except the checkboxes)

It's like they assume everyone would know what they do. o_O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
I wish Apple would bring back the pre-iTunes 6 functionality of allowing unchecked items to not be synced. I manually manage my music, but have iTunes set to sync my podcasts, yet I'd like to say, "okay, here are some old ones I want to keep around, but I don't need on my iPod."

Before version 6 came out, there was an option for this, but it's gone now... :Not-Amused:

Its still there. Plug in your iPod and click on it in the side bar. The iPod settings only show up when you have your iPod attached.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.