itunes CD Ripping

Reaction score
Why does this stupid itunes keep deleting the first track off all my home made CD's ?????? man I hate this program. is there an alternative program?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Why does this stupid itunes keep deleting the first track off all my home made CD's ?????? man I hate this program. is there an alternative program?

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) You first might want to give us the following: 1) Computer model/year; 2) OS X installed; 3) iTunes version being used; and 4) How have you tried to 'burn' your CDs?

Let me just provide my method:

* Import my music into iTunes and make a playlist.
* Open the playlists in the left panel and select the one of interest (red arrow below).
* Click the little gear @ the bottom left which opens a dialog box (blue arrow in attachment).
* Select 'burn playlist to disc' - prefer high bit-rate MP3 codec.
* Use CD-Rs w/ printable surface which I label on my Canon Pixma printer.

Give it a try and let us know - good luck! Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-12-12 at 10.20.18 AM.png

OP
R
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum! :) You first might want to give us the following: 1) Computer model/year; 2) OS X installed; 3) iTunes version being used; and 4) How have you tried to 'burn' your CDs?

Let me just provide my method:

* Import my music into iTunes and make a playlist.
* Open the playlists in the left panel and select the one of interest (red arrow below).
* Click the little gear @ the bottom left which opens a dialog box (blue arrow in attachment).
* Select 'burn playlist to disc' - prefer high bit-rate MP3 codec.
* Use CD-Rs w/ printable surface which I label on my Canon Pixma printer.

Give it a try and let us know - good luck! Dave :)

I am using the latest osx version on a mac pro 2009. The issue is not about importing music its about ripping music off a home made CD. I will try to import off CD if that will work instead of ripping.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I am using the latest osx version on a mac pro 2009. The issue is not about importing music its about ripping music off a home made CD. I will try to import off CD if that will work instead of ripping.

Sorry, but I misinterpreted your first post, i.e. was not clear what the issue is and assumed that you were trying to make a 'homemade' CD-R - would still help if you give us the exact OS X (current version is 10.10.1) and also the version of iTunes (current, 12.0.1.x).

What do you mean by 'home made' CDs? How were these made & what types of files (e.g. MP3, AAC, or other) are on the discs? Dave :)

OP
R
Reaction score
A home made cd is a blank disk that has music on it that did not come from a record producer. When I tunes rip music from it mps flac or any file type it always deletes the first track. Why? I lost a lot of songs this way.

osx version is 10.7.5 I think lion. on a mac pro 2.66 ghz 2009

Reaction score
A home made cd is a blank disk that has music on it that did not come from a record producer. When I tunes rip music from it mps flac or any file type it always deletes the first track. Why? I lost a lot of songs this way.

osx version is 10.7.5 I think lion. on a mac pro 2.66 ghz 2009

It certainly doesn't in my experience, there is something else going on.

Do you see all the tracks in iTunes when you insert the CD?

Are they all checked when you RIP them to whatever format you have chosen?

iTunes will not read FLAC or APE or OGG Vorbis or .wmf, .wma etc or tracks with digital management.

What exactly are these tracks and how did you create the CDs in the first place?

Is it a Music CD or a data CD?

The problem may be at the other end not iTunes. Have you done the sensible thing and checked with a regular manufactured CD?

btw Saying simply "I have the latest" of anything, leaves us still wondering, especially with users who are having problems working out what is going on, not just what software they are using.

PS Yes there is other software. Have you looked?

Last edited:
C

chas_m

Do you mean to say that it SKIPS the first track when loading your music files from a non-Audio (data) CD you're trying to rip into iTunes? Because it is not physically possible for it to "delete" the first track of a burned (or any other kind of) CD, so you're not "losing" songs. Are you perhaps phrasing the issue a bit poorly?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.