iTunes 12 no longer shows what's in an app update

M

MacInWin

Before the upgrade to iTunes 12, if you clicked on an app in the "Updates" section it showed a summary of what was in the update. Now, for me at least, all I get is a blank screen. It does expand, but there are no words in the expansion. I couldn't find a setting to fix it. Anybody got a hint for me?

OP
M

MacInWin

Can anyone at least confirm what I am seeing? Because if it's systemic, I'll live with it, but if it's different for someone else, I'll try to figure out what is wrong here.

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm experiencing the same as you Jake. I guess we can always go to the App store itself to see what's new for the update. Seems to me though it's just another dumbing down which I'm getting tired of. I'll live with it though. :(

OP
M

MacInWin

Thanks for checking back. I was beginning to think I was losing it. (I may still be losing it, but at least not over this one...)

OP
M

MacInWin

One last thought. I think it's a bug, not a design feature. IF you use AppStore in IOS8 to update, you get the description, so it's there, with the app, just not showing in iTunes.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just another of Apple's software upgrades where they had to rewrite some of the code from scratch.

Apple has become infamous in my book in these situations of releasing software before it's ready.
That is, before they have provided (at a minimum) the functionality we had in the previous version and then we're supposed to wait around for 6 months or a year or two for them to put out updates until they catch up with the capabilities of the previous version.

It's getting old.

'cut'

Last edited:
OP
M

MacInWin

I'm not that upset about it. One thing I wonder is if they put iTunes12 in the Beta tester's hands? You'd think that someone would have noticed it in beta.

Oh, well. I'll wait to see how the decide to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (mid 2010) OS 10.13.6
Speaking of iTunes… v. 12. red background on icon
When I open iTunes it fills the whole screen: no menu bar, no page title bar, Dock (at the bottom) is completely covered. So if there are any “Preference/settings” I have no way to get to them.
Finally figured out that I can close it by the F3 key which then shows all open windows in miniature and (thank God) the Dock appears and I can then close iTunes from the Dock.

Is this the way iTunes should behave when opened? - going full screen completely with no way to ‘navigate”?

P.S. It downloaded and installed because it came as an “update”; and for me also there was no further detailed information concerning the update. Was I ever surprised when the iTunes Dock icon changed from blue to red!! :Confused:

OP
M

MacInWin

That's full screen mode. Move your cursor to the upper right corner and hover there until a two headed arrow appears. Click on that and it will go back to a windowed view. Don't know if there is a preferences setting for it, but it should remember how it was when it last closed and open that same way.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Oh, and wait for it - our own Apple apologist should be coming along to tell us how they're always right and soon it'll be better than the old version.

I'm still waiting for those changes to Pages and the other iWork apps that were supposed to be put back after Apple "updated" them. I guess I can't complain too much since the iWork suite is now free with a new Mac or iPhone/iPad.

OP
M

MacInWin

My major annoyance with the new Pages is that there is no easy way to "Save As..." I keep forgetting to duplicate a certain document that I update weekly BEFORE I open it. If I change the name (as I have been doing for years) it used to let me Save As, so it didn't overwrite. Now it overwrites the original with the new name unless I remember to duplicate the file first, then change the name of the duplicate. Stupid design.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (mid 2010) OS 10.13.6
MacInWin thank you, Thank You!!

*some might think my signature is "cute", but sadly it is also very true*

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.