Itunes 11 - How to remove?

Reaction score
Hello,

Is it true that there is absolutely no way to remove ITunes 11 and replace it with an earlier version? I've googled this and plenty of people seem to be as frustrated as I am with this.

I just had my hard-drive erased at the Apple Store yesterday and Snow Leopard re-installed and ITunes 11 is just horrific to deal with. I desperately want an earlier version, but heard it's virtually impossible. Is it?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mIni *2013 macbook air *2011-itouch G4 32 gb (new repair projects:iMac G4 2002* imac g5 2007*

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mIni *2013 macbook air *2011-itouch G4 32 gb (new repair projects:iMac G4 2002* imac g5 2007*
I hope we still can control what we want our computers to run.

OP
S
Reaction score
I hope we still can control what we want our computers to run.

You know, it doesn't seem that way. For the past few years, ever since they started messing with ITunes, I have been really disappointed in Apple. Every new version is worse than the last one and I can barely get this version to work at all. I don't understand why Apple is treating their customers like PC owners. :Not-Amused:

OP
S
Reaction score

What exactly happens if you just download this version? Will it play alongside Itunes 11 like my Quicktime 7 does with the current version or do I have to do some major uninstall for it to run? I'm not familiar with how to do that kind of thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What exactly happens if you just download this version? Will it play alongside Itunes 11 like my Quicktime 7 does with the current version or do I have to do some major uninstall for it to run? I'm not familiar with how to do that kind of thing.

since this link is from apple, we are safe!
intall, add that to your launching dock- and use that.
after you are happy with this version, an fall your devices work
delete the newer iTunes, and never upgrade (click do not ask me to upgrade button)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You know, it doesn't seem that way. For the past few years, ever since they started messing with ITunes, I have been really disappointed in Apple. Every new version is worse than the last one and I can barely get this version to work at all. I don't understand why Apple is treating their customers like PC owners. :Not-Amused:

i miss 2010-everthing worked fine, and i was happy with apple!
since then everything wants to have this "fakebook" interference and less user options for customizing ones computer..

OP
S
Reaction score
i miss 2010-everthing worked fine, and i was happy with apple!
since then everything wants to have this "fakebook" interference and less user options for customizing ones computer..

No go. I downloaded from the link and the installer won't install it because there's "already a version of ITunes" installed on my computer. Now I have to waste more time and money going back to the Apple Store and hope that they can remove it for me. What a piece of garbage it is, it's like someone with OCD designed it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No go. I downloaded from the link and the installer won't install it because there's "already a version of ITunes" installed on my computer. Now I have to waste more time and money going back to the Apple Store and hope that they can remove it for me. What a piece of garbage it is, it's like someone with OCD designed it.
remove the newer version yourself-just drag or click on the icon and move to trash
download iTunes 9.
restart
that should work!

C

chas_m

Usually when someone says something silly like this, I just ask them one question:

"what, specifically, is 'worse' about iTunes (insert version) than iTunes (insert earlier version)."

Ninety five times out of 100, what they actually mean is "Apple has slightly rearranged the furniture in iTunes and I won't take the five minutes it would take to discover where it is and that it actually works way better now."

So: what, specifically, is "worse" in iTunes 11 than was in iTunes 10?

OP
S
Reaction score
Usually when someone says something silly like this, I just ask them one question:

"what, specifically, is 'worse' about iTunes (insert version) than iTunes (insert earlier version)."

Ninety five times out of 100, what they actually mean is "Apple has slightly rearranged the furniture in iTunes and I won't take the five minutes it would take to discover where it is and that it actually works way better now."

So: what, specifically, is "worse" in iTunes 11 than was in iTunes 10?

There are plenty of things that are "worse" about 11, so many I can't even list them. The top being that when I connect my Ipod or Iphone, they won't sync with this version, so I don't think not being able to use expensive devices with this version is "silly" and I'm not the only one who's had a lot of trouble with doing this. It's a major problem with this version.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
There are plenty of things that are "worse" about 11, so many I can't even list them. The top being that when I connect my Ipod or Iphone, they won't sync with this version, so I don't think not being able to use expensive devices with this version is "silly" and I'm not the only one who's had a lot of trouble with doing this. It's a major problem with this version.

I can tell you that the inability to sync is not a bug in this version that I've experienced, or any other version for that matter. It sounds like there may be a few pieces missing to this puzzle. Perhaps instead of focusing on downgrading to an earlier version, we should attempt to troubleshoot and solve the issues that you have with the current version.

I think what Chas was trying to say, albeit in an unnecessarily patronizing way, is that us human beings are creatures of habit - and we don't necessarily embrace change, but rather find it to be a source of frustration. I know that's true of me.

Fortunately, most of the new interface elements that I found to be frustrating can be dialed back or otherwise tweaked and tuned to look just like the older versions. So, I think it's just a matter of identifying those problems and addressing them one-by-one.

If you want to go down that path, might I suggest creating a new thread specifically about troubleshooting iTunes 11?

You could continue in this vein, but I think you'll find that trying to make an older iTunes work with newer devices is an exercise in futility, even if you are successful in installing it.

OP
S
Reaction score
I can tell you that the inability to sync is not a bug in this version that I've experienced, or any other version for that matter. It sounds like there may be a few pieces missing to this puzzle. Perhaps instead of focusing on downgrading to an earlier version, we should attempt to troubleshoot and solve the issues that you have with the current version.

I think what Chas was trying to say, albeit in an unnecessarily patronizing way, is that us human beings are creatures of habit - and we don't necessarily embrace change, but rather find it to be a source of frustration. I know that's true of me.

Fortunately, most of the new interface elements that I found to be frustrating can be dialed back or otherwise tweaked and tuned to look just like the older versions. So, I think it's just a matter of identifying those problems and addressing them one-by-one.

If you want to go down that path, might I suggest creating a new thread specifically about troubleshooting iTunes 11?

You could continue in this vein, but I think you'll find that trying to make an older iTunes work with newer devices is an exercise in futility, even if you are successful in installing it.

Ok, I'll give it a shot and YES, I am no fan of change! This is my first post on macforums, is this the correct forum to post about troubleshooting or is there another to do that in?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I'll give it a shot and YES, I am no fan of change! This is my first post on macforums, is this the correct forum to post about troubleshooting or is there another to do that in?

You are in good company, trust me :)

I think the best place to put such a thread would be in the 'OS X - Apps and Games' section here: OS X - Apps and Games - Mac-Forums Discussions for Apple Products & Services

It would be really helpful to have some information about your system, such as what version of OS X it is currently running, what model the Mac is and specific details about the problems. For example, what happens (or doesn't happen) when you plug-in your iPod and what you're expecting to see.

I would say to start with the more annoying or "show stopper" issues and go from there. I know I'll be happy to help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
May I ask a stupid question ... never mind, I'll do it anyway.

Is iTunes the only thing that is not working properly on your computer ?

I have the impression that you are not telling us everything with regards to the issue. If that is the case, then helping you out will be a lot harder.
Also, answering Chas_M's question would be great so we can take all emotions out of this and try to help you based on facts only.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
That wasn't a stupid question at all. Now this may be a stupid comment, but here goes.

My curiosity is piqued (I must be bored today). schoochmom, have you made any progress with your issue? I hope so.

To all, enjoy the weekend. Best time of year, imo. Finally cooling off here in SoCal drought land.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iTunes 12 installed itself on my machine this morning - and apparently, Apple is now ****-bent on removing the sidebar. I found a way to get it back (sort-of) but it's not persistent.

iTunes used to be the de-facto standard for how to work in an Apple-developed application. By making this change, they have signaled their intent (to dumb down applications into iOS-like apps). This is very unfortunate and I now find myself in a similar quandary to the OP. Give me back an earlier version!

:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
I've now gone back to 11.4 :D

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.