It's me again - about iMessage (or Messages)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 MBPro 16" wi/Retina Display, iPhone 15 Pro Max, MBPro 13" (2021).
Hello All -

A quick recap:

First of all, I want to thank all of you who responded with ideas to fix the problem and I have come very close BUT no luck yet. Nevertheless, I thought it important to detail what has happened since I started the OP.

On my 2012 MBP running Mohave 10.14.4, I can receive text and sms messages BUT I cannot send text messages or sms messages. So, with that in mind, I have:

signed out of messages, done a restart, unchecked and rechecked Time Zone in system preferences, and then unlocked and locked Keychain Access. After another restart I have signed into message again and ***been able to send one SMS Message but then unable to send either texts or sms messages (get ! in red). So, on the one hand I'm doing something right but then it disappears and goes bad again. I feel I am close but then - nothing. Texts and SMS Messages on my iPhone and MBAir are coming and going just fine and match the settings on my MBP.

Does this chain of events give anyone an idea? Obiviously I am way out of AppleCare or tech support since this is a 2012 MBP.

Any help you can give me would be, as always, sincerely appreciated. I would hate to think my MBP, which has been flawless for almost 7 years, is beginning to go.

Thank you all, very much.

Best,
Rich

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Can you compare the Messages > Preferences, from both the MBA and the MBP? They have to both be identical, for them to work the same way.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
This is a bit odd. I'm wondering if it's something to do with network settings. Rich, have you checked to see if they are the same on both devices?

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

OP
ImDrRichard
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you, ferrarr I will tomorrow at the office.

Thank you, Rod. I will check that as well.

Appreciate your input, guys.

Best to all -

Rich

OP
ImDrRichard
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, finally, a final report.

I spent nearly 3 hours on the phone with Apple support (elevated) and a guy named Steve worked with me without any hesitation of impatience or fatigue. Found a corrupt password file in Keychain Access and that was the culprit. Don't even think of asking me how that affected iMessage, lol. Superior service and outstanding support from Apple.

Thanks again to all who responded here - you guys are just the best.

Rich

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
with Apple support (elevated) and a guy named Steve worked with me without any hesitation of impatience or fatigue. Found a corrupt password file in Keychain Access and that was the culprit.

Good to hear and I guess Keychain First Aid didn't fix it and who would have guessed that it was a corrupt password file that was the cause of your problem.

Congrats to the tech!!

EDIT:
Opps, I forgot that Apple removed Keychain First Aid:
How to deal with keychain problems in macOS 10.11.2 and later
How to deal with keychain problems in macOS 10.11.2 and later – The Eclectic Light Company

Everything You Want to Know About Keychain First Aid

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Well done, that’s the sort of support we deserve. And yes I thought keychain first aid was gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.