iTouch 4th Gen Won't Play Thru Kenwood Car Stereo after IOS 5

Reaction score
Hi! Like the title says, since updating my iTouch 4th Gen to IOS 5, when I connect it to the USB port on my Kenwood car stereo it continuously flashes "READING" on the stereo's display. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? I am certain it's the IOS. I never had this issue prior to the upgrade. Any guidance is appreciated.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
This is the first I've seen of this - but then who knows how many people are actually using a USB connection in their cars yet. Do you have any other IOS devices you can use as a sanity check?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Have you checked to see if you are running the latest firmware for your radio?

OP
D
Reaction score
@BrianLachore - We do! My son has a 4G iTouch that is not yet upgraded. I'll try connecting that.

@lifeisabeach - I have no idea how to check that, nor do I have any idea how to update the firmware. This is my car stereo and I have never had an issue like this before.

Could this have to do with DRM? Thanks for your responses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
This would have nothing to do with DRM. If you can tell us the model number of your car stereo head unit, I can look up the instructions for checking the firmware for you.

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi again!
I visited the Kenwood site and was unable to locate any firmware update for my model, but I did submit a query to their customer service and they suggested that I reset my unit, which I did, and it worked. I just have to reprogram all of my presets.

Thanks for your comments.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.