Items freshly dragged to trash disappeared

Reaction score
The other day I was dragging unnecessary items on my 2015 MacBook Air desktop to the trash and accidentally picked up a folder that I did not want to trash. That's happened to me many times before. "No problem," I thought, "I'll just remove it from the trash," but when I opened trash to drag the folder back the desktop, the folder and all the individual files that I had just dragged in were not there. All the files I had dragged in on the day before are there, as are things I've dragged in since; just these few items are gone. I can't locate the folder that I want back anywhere--Finder can't find it--and I have no idea what happened. Any thoughts about what might have happened would help and any ideas about the possibility of finding it again appreciated.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Were all the files you were dragging from the same storage media? Internal HD or whatever? The Trash works for local drives (either internal or external drives connected to a Mac) in that it will keep the files there until you empty the trash. However, for any drives connected over the network, you will not have that functionality and files will be deleted immediately.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.