iStudioLink Instrument cable import audio from hifi headphone socket?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 GHz 2GB RAM 60GB HDD
Yes you can do that but I believe you'll only be able to get mono sound.

OP
MartinS
Reaction score
Right. (But how come I get stereo through headphones...?)

The attached is a photo of the back of my old hi-fi; I've connected the Mac using the middle of the three pairs of RCA sockets (Aux), and set the audio input to line in, but I'm still getting no sound from the hi-fi through my Mac.

Is it connected correctly, do you think?

Screenshot_1.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 GHz 2GB RAM 60GB HDD
Ok let me just clarify what you intend to do. You want to record vinyl and tape into your Mac.

1) The outputs of your vinyl player should be hooked up to the phono input of your hi-fi set (unless your vinyl player has a built in amplifier that can boost the output to line level. If so, hook it up to the CD input.)

2) The outputs of your tape player should be hooked up to (ideally a tape input), but the CD input should work fine too.

I suspect the reason why you're not getting any signal coming into your Mac is because you connected the video/aux input of your hi-fi set to the line input of your Mac.

Inputs should almost always be connected to outputs and vice versa (unless you're trying out some crazy experiment with audio.)

OP
MartinS
Reaction score
After much head scratching and frowning and googling, I'm in business! I thought about what connectors and cables I had to hand, and just connected the headphone jack of my hi-fi to the audio line in on my Mac. I fired up Audio Hijack and hey presto: music! It was a bit muddy at first but I pushed a button on the hi-fi, adjusted the volume and it sounds fine. Stereo, too, so far as I can tell...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.