Issues with Photos 8.0 in Ventura 13.0.1

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
RAW has never been standardized. It's basically code for lossless and every manufacturer has their own version. Some versions are compressed, others are not. In my case, I've been using Sony compressed RAW for over a decade, and every version of the MAC OS until now, has been compatible, including Monterey. I have a few options I'm going to TRY, including (in the short term) shooting in JPEG or uncompressed RAW.

I also found a NEW fly in the ointment. All of the photos uploaded to the computer after Ventura can't be edited with the Sony editing app. The error code says that it is unable to edit the TIFF file. It isn't a TIFF file, the file extension is .ARW which is a Sony RAW file.

It's not me, others are having similar buggy behavior. After some experimenting, I'll report back here with the results.

Last edited:
OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I just wish there was a way to divorce myself from Photos now, but I see no way to do that, since it opens as the default editor when I plug in the camera.
You should be able to change this in Image Capture. You can set it to not open Photos when the camera is plugged in. It might also be somewhere in Photos Settings. The device does need to be connected in order to change which app opens (or not) when connected.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@ferrarr - Bob - is spot on.

Attach your camera by cable to your Mac. Now go to Finder > Applications > Image Capture.

You can import your photographs to 1. Image Capture: 2. Photos app: 3. Navigate to anywhere else on your Mac.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'd like to see that list for Ventura and see if it's been truncated at all.

This postage list is not right up to date but it may give you some idea or be of help:
Oct 30, 2022

I was able to secure a list from a Ventura install for the current state of Camera RAW supported in Ventura and compare that list against my Monterey install...

Ventura Raw Support for cameras released since Monterey...

NO Not supported in Ventura,
YES New supported added in Ventura,
YES M&V Support had been added to Monterey via an undocumented MacOS update at some point and continues in Ventura. ...

- Patrick
=======

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This postage list is not right up to date but it may give you some idea or be of help:

- Patrick
=======
Thanks Patrick. I use a Sony A7iii and an A6000, the A7 has been around for 4 1/2 years. The A6000, probably 7 years or more. It looks like I'll just need to wait for the update and use something else in the mean time.

@ferrarr - Bob - is spot on.

Attach your camera by cable to your Mac. Now go to Finder > Applications > Image Capture.

You can import your photographs to 1. Image Capture: 2. Photos app: 3. Navigate to anywhere else on your Mac.

Ian

Thanks Ian. I have pictures scattered all over the place now. I miss Photo's organization. I'll figure something out sooner or later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Thanks Patrick. I use a Sony A7iii and an A6000, the A7 has been around for 4 1/2 years. The A6000, probably 7 years or more. It looks like I'll just need to wait for the update and use something else in the mean time.

That's crazy that a customer and user should have to wait that long to get things working properly.
It seems working with RAW is a main problem, is it really worth the hassles especially if it doesn't even work, and is there an actual Improvement or difference if and when you can get it working???

Thanks Ian. I have pictures scattered all over the place now. I miss Photo's organization. I'll figure something out sooner or later.

Maybe have a look through this list or some others, and some of the free choices look promising, but then I hardly do anything with photos on my Mac:

EDIT:
Or maybe something else among this list would work better for you:

- Patrick
=======

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I updated from 13.0.1 to 13.1 but no change to Photos. Version and build # are unchanged.

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
UPDATE:

No change in OS, or Photo's version or build #, and it's still acting up, however, it's now consistent. After downloading pictures from the camera, ALL pictures are blurry as both thumbnails and as full screen. This happens with compressed RAW, un-compressed RAW and JPEG. Now however, clicking on edit before any editing is actually done clears up the blurriness every time . Exiting edit without editing and the blurriness reappears every time. Exporting the RAW unedited file to the desktop and opening in Affinity, no blurriness. Opening the same file in Photos and it's blurry again. Examples attached.

At least now it's consistent. On the Apple Community site, there are quite a few people with similar issues, although the problems are not always consistent with mine. Although my workflow has changed, for the purposes of social media, I simply take the blurry RAW file and export it to my desktop as a JPEG and "VOILA". There is still plenty of erratic and buggy behavior, but for the most part, I can work around it. tedious, but at least I no longer want to jump off a bridge. 😉
Screenshot 2022-12-21 at 2.38.15 PM.png Screenshot 2022-12-21 at 2.37.54 PM.png
screenshot-2022-12-21-at-2-38-15-pm-png.37423

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I think that there is a "bug?" of sorts in relation to RAW imaging. For the moment, I rarely take RAW images and when I do, it's always with my iPhone 13 Pro. (In the past it was with DSLR cameras).

The thumbnails are nearly always blurry or even a total mess of lines and waves; but when I move to Edit them, they quickly appear perfect and editing is fine, the final image being entirely satisfactory.

Moving out of Edit and back to the thumbnails, the blurriness returns and the image is a mess. Exporting the edited image as a JPEG renders normally.

And BTW, Affinity is a tip-top app. Excellent and at a very reasonable price.

So, I guess you are stuck with your present difficulties. I wish I could help:(:confused3

Ian

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wish I could help:(:confused3

Ian
I appreciate that. For the time being at least, I know a work around. I'm just glad it's not only me for a change. 😛

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It APPEARS the Ventura update to 13.2 did in fact address the issues with Photos. I only took a few test pictures so far and they seem to be sharp. I did check some of the older photos taken immediately after 13.1 and they are still blurry. Fingers are crossed 🤞

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.