Is this hard drive dead?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
I have a 1TB Seagate portable drive from 2014 that I’m worried is dead. When I plug it into either of my Macs via USB, I hear it rev up for about 10 seconds then it’s completely silent. No hard drive icon pops up on the desktop. The little light indicator stays on, but that’s it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
First, you will need to confirm that drives have been enabled to show on your Desktop. Open a Finder window, and select Finder > Preferences. Look in the General tab and make sure "External disks" (and any other options you prefer) have a check mark, to indicate they are enabled.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have a 1TB Seagate portable drive from 2014 that I’m worried is dead. When I plug it into either of my Macs via USB, I hear it rev up for about 10 seconds then it’s completely silent. No hard drive icon pops up on the desktop. The little light indicator stays on, but that’s it. Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Easy enough to check the drive from Disk Utility. Run a First Aid check on it from Disk Utility even if the drive does not appear on the desktop.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
Ran Disk Utility. Only my other external drives are showing, not the one in question. Anything else I could do?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like that drive died. If it's still under warranty, you can contact Seagate and ask for a RMA.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.