Is This Equal to iFixit's Adhesive for the iMac 5K 27"?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Unless you're willing to risk the screen falling off your iMac, I strongly recommend buying the adhesive tape from iFixit rather than "shopee" (which I have never heard of).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Hi. For those who've used an adhesive that's not from iFixit, they look the same, is this a good a good buy and is as good as iFixit's screen adhesive for the iMac 27" 5K display. It's about US$2.00 compared to iFixit's US$19:

You must realize that China is one of the biggest knock-off countries in the world, but they can also make some very good quality knock-offs.

If I was in such a situation, iFixit's price isn't so bad, but I didn't check out their shipping costs or guarantee or reviews.

If in doubt, I would suggest doing a search with Google, and when you get to some of the Alibaba and other Chinese sites, I would suggest reading any reviews they have available and be very aware of some of the shipping costs and the time to do so.

Then if you are happy with price shipping costs and time involved and decent reviews, being aware that some can be hacked and bogus, you can probably save yourself maybe $10.00. 😏

PS: also be aware of payment methods and possible extra costs charged.

PPS: I just ordered a brand new replacement hard drive fan for my mid 2011 27" iMac from iFixit and their price was under $30 plus a bit for shipping. Way less than a lot of other replacement places were charging for a used fan, but in "good" condition.

So their pricing is certainly not over-inflated and they provide a good product. And their tools and tool kits are excellent, but can also be purchased from the original Manufacturing suppliers for a bit less.

And no, I do not have any association with the companies!!!

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ahh well Alvin777 you get what you pay for so be very, very careful. For mine ifixit are a genuine company.

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi. I found, after days of research two good sources for OEM (third party if it's outside the US they say) and Apple OEM itself by God's grace, of the adhesives (Apple's adhesive is different from OWC and iFixit, it has more layers). It was mentioned by a Macrumors member who's an Apple technician, the best lead to the best adhesive was here all along. I wonder though if you could just make your own using 3M's double sided tapes that closely matches Apple's adhesive/tape?

I probably need to use a parcel forwarder but those blessed enough may have it delivered directly, search on eBay, using the advanced search, by member, either: macpremiumparts or tecknic-lee
The latter sells the adhesives (Apple OEM or OEM but not Apple, a few dollars cheaper) in retail (you can buy 1). I told him to also sell Teamgroup M.2 NVME SSDs (good price but very fast, not sure about it's taiwanese reliability) and Sintech Apple M.2 to standard M.2 adapters so it's a one stop shop.

God bless. Enjoy.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.