Is this a good deal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 16g iPhone 3g, 30g iPod classic
Hey a few questions for a technologically challenged girl :)

I have a Macbook Pro that I use for most of my computer usage, but I'm looking to get an iMac. I used to have a G5 17" iMac and I'm going to buy one now. I found one on ebay, and I'm making an offer for the computer seperately. What do you think it should sell for.

Also, since it's a single core processor is that going to slow down the computer a LOT? I will most likely only use it for things like browsing the internet and Microsoft Word.

Condition: Used
Processor Type: PowerPC G5
Product Family: iMac
Processor Speed (per Core): 1.6 GHz
Screen Size: 17 inches
Processor Configuration: Single Core
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5, Leopard
Memory (RAM): 512 MB
Primary Drive: CD-RW/DVD Combo
Hard Drive Capacity: 80 GB
Bundled Items: Keyboard, Monitor, Mouse

He said he is hoping to get $400 for it. No problems, original owner and he's shipping all discs with it. I was thinking more along the lines of $350?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4g, 2GB, 200G, 15.4
If you can add atleast a 1 or 2 gigs on that imac g5, I would go for it if you are just doing some light apps like browsing and itunes. It should be fast enough.

OP
BethanyLieb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you can add atleast a 1 or 2 gigs on that imac g5, I would go for it if you are just doing some light apps like browsing and itunes. It should be fast enough.

How slow will it be the way it is now? And when you say '1 or 2 gigs' do you mean ram or memory or what? Will it be really slow without that?

Reaction score
How slow will it be the way it is now? And when you say '1 or 2 gigs' do you mean ram or memory or what? Will it be really slow without that?

with 1 gb of ram it should do well. with 2 gigs of ram on a g5 u should fly. ram and memory is the same thing :)

OP
BethanyLieb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
with 1 gb of ram it should do well. with 2 gigs of ram on a g5 u should fly. ram and memory is the same thing :)

See... I told you I'm technologically challenged HAHA.... sooooo sorry if I seem repetitive... but will it be noticeably slow if I decide to keep it with the 512? Will that affect things like the speed of internet, etc?

Thank you!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have a 2.1 Ghz iMac G5. If the OS was Tiger Vs Leopard, 512 Megs would go a bit farther but still if you run more than a few simple applications all at the same time, with 512Megs it will bog down a bit. With 10.5 Leopard it will be more so.

For basic usage it will get you by with 512 but I would upgrade to at least 1GB ASAP with Leopard. More if you can.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac | 30GB iPod Video | 16GB iPod Touch
I have the same system, but with 2GB of memory rather than 512MB. The computer works great for 'light' tasks like Internet, e-mail, iChat, iPhoto, iTunes, and word processing. I use a PC for gaming, so I cannot comment on that aspect, but otherwise it is a great machine and I cannot see why you would have any problems using it. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
It won't be slow at all. The G5 is a decent processor and can handle easy things like web browsing and videos in its sleep.

Dual core processors are faster for games and intensive tasks such as video editing, but a lot of it is marketing.

512Mb is fine, but it might become a bit sluggish if you have 2 or 3 programs open at once and you need to switch between them. 1 gig would be worth getting - tell the buyer you think it's worth $350 because its only got 512Mb and you'll need to upgrade it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.