• Welcome to the new Mac-Forums. See News and Community Announcements for more details.

Is there a way to keep External Hard Drives sleeping when I just want to access my iMac HDD?

Reaction score
One thing that I've noticed about Mac that drives me crazy is when I've been working on something for awhile and my External Hard Drives go to sleep, and then I click on my Mac's HD, or just want to save a document to my iMac's HD, my computer wakes/spins up all of my External Hard Drives thinking I MIGHT want to access them too...which I DON'T.

Is there any way to not spin up my External Hard Drives until I actually need them (ie: leave them mounted, but don't spin them up every time I want to save a document to my iMac)?

Thanks,

J.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, Numerous iPods, Catalina
What make - model are the hard drives? I can leave mine attached and they do not wake up unless I access them. I have two Samsung T5s and a LaCie.

Usually it's the built in firmware of the drive that causes it to wake up. No sure if there is a way not to wake them up and keep them mounted at the same time.

Reaction score
What make - model are the hard drives? I can leave mine attached and they do not wake up unless I access them. I have two Samsung T5s and a LaCie.

Usually it's the built in firmware of the drive that causes it to wake up. No sure if there is a way not to wake them up and keep them mounted at the same time.
I have:
1 x Fantom 10TB,
1 x LaCie 6TB 2Big Dock, Raid 0, and
1 x LaCie 16TB 2Big Dock, Raid 0

M

MBAmtloin

Is there anything open on the external hard drives?
are we running time machine while the ex HD are plugged in?

I see a flashing light on some of my exHDs but only when they are in use.
the drives i am using are not as large or same models as yours though.
i did not notice this activity in Windows 10 either, they react when called upon.

I hope this helped

Reaction score
Is there anything open on the external hard drives?
are we running time machine while the ex HD are plugged in?

I see a flashing light on some of my exHDs but only when they are in use.
the drives i am using are not as large or same models as yours though.
i did not notice this activity in Windows 10 either, they react when called upon.

I hope this helped
I might have a Finder folder open on one or some of the External HDs, but I'm not using that Finder window, or any document therein.
One of them is dedicated for Time Machine, but I have it disabled so that it only does it when I manually instruct it to do so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2014 Mac Mini macOS 10.15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13
It may also have to do with your model and year of your iMac? Older models, may not communicate the same way as the newer models do.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, Numerous iPods, Catalina
I have:
1 x Fantom 10TB,
1 x LaCie 6TB 2Big Dock, Raid 0, and
1 x LaCie 16TB 2Big Dock, Raid 0
I'm not familiar with those drives but I'm betting its their firmware that's causing them to spin up when they sense activity on the iMac. Not sure there is anything you can do to prevent them from spinning up.

It would not be very practical to replace the drives with SSDs especially with comparable storage sizes. That would be very expensive.