Is there a regedit equivalent on OSX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33Ghz Core2Duo, 2Gb Ram, 120Gb HardDisk, X1600 256Mb & I LOVE Every Inch of her
Hi guys,

I was wondering if there is anything similar to the regedit in windows, reason i'm asking is because i'm installing this program, Canon EOS Utility, and it's an updating version that i've downloaded it from Canon's website. (I can't access my original CD's at the moment cause i'm not home and won't be for the next 2 months.)

On XP, i can add a new key to the registry to trick windows and the update program and instead of updating, it does a full install.

now my question is, does anyone know if there is anything similar i can do in OSX. I've tried adding a new folder with the respective name in the "application support" folder but it doesn't work.

thanx a bunch guys :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
No, because there is no registry to edit.

OP
Aaagogo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33Ghz Core2Duo, 2Gb Ram, 120Gb HardDisk, X1600 256Mb & I LOVE Every Inch of her
is application support folder in the library folder in ur home folder almost the same as a registery??

is there anyway i can trick OSX like the same way i trick XP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
What are you trying to trick OSX to do?

There are program hacking programs. HexEdit and Resourcerer. But they don't do what you're asking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I don't get what you're trying to do here, but it sounds like a bad idea.

OP
Aaagogo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i will try to best describe my problem

i have a program that i wish to install, it's an updater version from canon's website. however, in xp, if i do not have the base program to run the updater from, i can go in regedit and create a new key to trick XP and the updater program to think that i already have the base program installed and the updater will run smoothly. It works because the updater program that i download from canon's website is actually a complete install somehow packaged as an update.

now i need to trick OSX to do the same thing. is there anyway around it.

V below is the post from the canon camera forum that i'm at also... hope that makes what i'm trying to do clearer

OP
Aaagogo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
However, if you are a Windows user I can show you the easy way to install the full program right from the update provided on the Canon website.

1. Download the update to the program you want to install. IE Zoombrowser EX.

2. Go to Start > Run > And type regedit then hit enter.

3. You're now at the Registry Editor. I wish I could do this on the Mac. If anybody knows how to do something similar say so please. Anyway, back to the regeditor. Open the following in the folder tree:

4. After that (and while SOFTWARE is selected as above) go to Edit > New > Key. Make a key called "Canon" and it'll pop up another little folder like that.

5. Select the Canon folder doohickey you just created and go once again to Edit > New > Key and create a key with the name of the software you want to install. IE "Zoombrowser EX" or "EOS Utility" (yes it's that simple).

6. Run the installer you downloaded earlier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
i will try to best describe my problem

i have a program that i wish to install, it's an updater version from canon's website. however, in xp, if i do not have the base program to run the updater from, i can go in regedit and create a new key to trick XP and the updater program to think that i already have the base program installed and the updater will run smoothly. It works because the updater program that i download from canon's website is actually a complete install somehow packaged as an update.

now i need to trick OSX to do the same thing. is there anyway around it.

V below is the post from the canon camera forum that i'm at also... hope that makes what i'm trying to do clearer
I'll send you a zip of the initial installer if you need it. Message me with your email addy. Mine's an old CD though, ImageBrowser 3.0 for OS X.

-Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
However, if you are a Windows user I can show you the easy way to install the full program right from the update provided on the Canon website.

1. Download the update to the program you want to install. IE Zoombrowser EX.

2. Go to Start > Run > And type regedit then hit enter.

3. You're now at the Registry Editor. I wish I could do this on the Mac. If anybody knows how to do something similar say so please. Anyway, back to the regeditor. Open the following in the folder tree:

4. After that (and while SOFTWARE is selected as above) go to Edit > New > Key. Make a key called "Canon" and it'll pop up another little folder like that.

5. Select the Canon folder doohickey you just created and go once again to Edit > New > Key and create a key with the name of the software you want to install. IE "Zoombrowser EX" or "EOS Utility" (yes it's that simple).

6. Run the installer you downloaded earlier.

All that is great for Windows, but you're not on Windows any more. OS X is nothing like Windows. At all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
I'm guessing he would need to remove the receipt form the /Library/Receipts folder. As I understand it, thats the place OS X looks for previous versions of software.

OP
Aaagogo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes i understand that i am not on the microsoft OS anymore, i was just wondering if there is anything i can tweak in OSX, because given it's advancement as an OS over XP and transparency to those who is well versed in kernels and unix system, i'm sure that something can be done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
y...because given it's advancement as an OS over XP ...
A good part of that 'advancement' is because the system cannot be 'tweaked' as much. Quite frankly, there is little to no need for it anyway. Most things with the Mac OS were done right the first time, there is no need to correct them. :black:
Tweaking is very much a Windows and/or *nix thing... not so much a Mac thing.

If you absolutely must play and tweak with things, then I would suggest getting into AppleScript and giving that a whirl, though the standard cautions apply... don't mess with it unless you are absolutely sure you know what you are doing, lest you ruin your OS installation.

OP
Aaagogo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^ thanx for the insight into applescript. will give it a shot...

hey, most to most i'll reinstall osx :) much easier than reinstalling xp anyways

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.