Is the Mac "appearence" too limited?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
Is there any way to create your own colour schemes for the OS X look? If you go to Appearence from System Preferences you only get the option of Blue or Graphite. That's not much choice - is there any way to get more choice withoutusing some long-winded third party software that slows your machine down?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Shapeshifter is the only way to properly and safely do it. Have you tried Shapeshifter? I have a 2.1ghz G5 iMac and I don't notice any slowdown on my machine. I noticed some on my G4 iBook, but you shouldnt have any problem on your iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
EDIT: Same post as StrechR. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
I second the shapeshifter suggestion it's great...no slow downs for me..well except at startup but its BARELY noticeable its maybe aout 15 seconds longer...which is next to nothing compared to when I had my PC and I was using ANY of the theme changing programs which wouldslow down my system to an unreasonable amount and not to mention it was IMPOSSIBLE to remove them...

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
it has always seemed a bit weird to me that windows, the "stodgy" office computer offers such granular control over color and sizing of its skin, and a mac offers just a couple color schemes natively.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
it is a bit strange, I do agree, eric. Oh well, Shapeshifter to the rescue. :)

Reaction score
Good to know that it seems to work well on the Macs. I'm sure I'll be checking them out when I make my MBP purchase. I've been tempted to use some themes in Windows, but I hate bogging down my system and don't want to screw around trying to remove them again later.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.