Is sent email actually sent?

Reaction score
I have a MacBook air and I use a mac email account and retain the address [email protected].

I recently contacted a dear friend about a delicate matter on their request and had no reply to two consecutive messages. Both messages were sent from an iPhone or my MacBook air but probably not from home using my established strong wifi signal.

Both messages are to be found in my sent box. But were they really sent and received, or could they have been lost in the ether. I don't want to hassle my friend if they don't want to be in touch but if they didn't receive the messages I'd like to be in touch!

Any advice gratefully appreciated.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Traditionally, messages that are yet to be sent will stay in your Drafts folder (or Outbox if your email client has one). Once the email is sent, it is moved to the Sent folder as your record. There are a couple of ways that you can be certain about email delivery. 1) Request a read receipt from the receiver which not only confirms that your email was received but that it was also read. Virtually no-one likes this or sends the receipts back and people frown upon this entirely. 2) You get a delivery failure message either from your mail server or the recipients mail server indicating of a failure.

For normal email messages, there is no acknowledgement or guarantee that it reached your recipient. Also, it's possible that you ended up in their junk/spam folder unless you've sent them emails in the past.

Each person responds to email at their own pace, if you are corresponding with someone who is quick to answer or acknowledge but hasn't, perhaps you can call them on the phone and check.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.