Is PDF Studio Pro still the best alternative to Adobe Acrobat?

krs

Reaction score
Subject Title says it all.

L'm now running into pdf files that Acrobat 9.0 can't open.
I get a message that I need a more current version of Acrobat to open the file.

So rather throwing more money in Adobe's direction, I'm looking for a GOOD alternative.
Hopefully for a lot less money as well and also not some subscription service.

Reaction score
Currently the favorites are:

PDF Studio Pro ($139) (the less expensive standard version can't erase and replace existing text)

PDFExpert ($140)
Review:

If you are stretching to save money, this is a new attractively inexpensive entry that I haven't reviewed and don't know much about yet:

UPDF ($50)
‎UPDF - PDF Editor & Converter
More info (not a review):
OCR works for Apple Silicon only.

Reaction score
I've been using Nitro PDF Pro Essentials, which replaced PDF Pen. I have no idea what it cost but it has done everything I've needed. I think the full Nitro PDF Pro costs over $150 and may be the only option if you didn't already have PDF Pen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
L'm now running into pdf files that Acrobat 9.0 can't open.

Does Adobe's free Adobe Acrobat Reader Version 23.003.20269 open such .pdf files???

And just a bit curious here, but where are the .PDF files that you cannot open coming from and how are they being created? Maybe the source should change how they are doing things instead of the rest of the world having to adapt to the odd version they are creating.

Then again there's the opposite problem some seem to be having:
Why a PDF won't open on Adobe Acrobat

- Patrick
=======

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
Does Adobe's free Adobe Acrobat Reader Version 23.003.20269 open such .pdf files???

And just a bit curious here, but where are the .PDF files that you cannot open coming from and how are they being created?
The file is a hobby catalog of about 130 pages, but the file size is 347MB.
I was trying to reduce the size to around 50 MB which is typical for catalogs that size.
I can open the file in Acrobat Reader and also in Preview.
Tried Preview to reduce the file size but the reduced one is still over 200 MB.
When I try to open the file in Acrobat Pro 9, Adobe wants me to spend more money.

Attachments

• Adobe Issue.jpg
    Adobe Issue.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was trying to reduce the size to around 50 MB which is typical for catalogs that size.

Have you tried some of the file size saving suggestions from here for example with the applications that do work with the files:

How to Reduce PDF File Size
1. The first step is to save file under a different file name by using "File > Save As..." menu. Quite often, users make modifications to the document and use "File > Save" menu to save changes to disk. Adobe Acrobat just appends changes to the end of the file and file size keeps growing bigger and bigger. The "File > Save As..." completely rebuilds file structure and purges all accumulated changes. For some file, this can immediately reduce the file size without performing any optimizations.
2. Use "File > Save as Other > Reduced Size PDF" or "File > Save as Other > Optimized PDF" menus to perform optimization. However, it is important to understand that there is no magic and file reduction can be only achieved by either down-sampling images and removing embedded fonts. Down-sampling images or using a lossy image compression algorithm decrease file size by discarding information. It will always result in loss of images quality. This is not acceptable depending on project requirements. Removing embedded fonts is possible in some cases by using "PDF Optimizer", but for some PDF files it is not an option.
3. The last resort is to print PDF file to "Adobe PDF" printer. This method often helps when there is a font or internal file structure problem. However, this method may also reduce image quality. In addition, this method will not carry over any interactive elements such as bookmarks, links, annotations and etc.

Or have you tried any of the PDF shrinking/compressing utilities such as a free one???:

Genius PDF Compress

Maybe have a look and see what other users have to say about it.

EDIT:
I don't know if Apple's Preview compressing method is more efficient than any of the others:

Compress a PDF in Preview on Mac
To save storage space, you can compress a PDF in Preview.

Note: When compressed, the PDF may be of lower quality than the original.

In the Preview app on your Mac, open the PDF that you want to compress.

Choose File > Export. (Don’t choose Export as PDF.)

Click the Quartz Filter pop-up menu, then choose Reduce File Size.

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've been using Nitro PDF Pro Essentials, which replaced PDF Pen. I have no idea what it cost but it has done everything I've needed. I think the full Nitro PDF Pro costs over $150 and may be the only option if you didn't already have PDF Pen.

I haven't tried Nitro PDF personally, but the members of my user group, who used to uniformly be big fans of PDFpen, uniformly seem to hate it. Sorry that I can't be more specific. Just a tip to try the free demo before you purchase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I haven't tried Nitro PDF personally, but the members of my user group, who used to uniformly be big fans of PDFpen, uniformly seem to hate it. Sorry that I can't be more specific.

That pretty well reflects the user's comments for both of their products here:
Nitro PDF Pro Essentials 3.6

Nitro PDF Pro 3.7

- Patrick
=======

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
Have you tried some of the file size saving suggestions from here for example with the applications that do work with the files:

Or have you tried any of the PDF shrinking/compressing utilities such as a free one???:

Genius PDF Compress

Maybe have a look and see what other users have to say about it.

EDIT:
I don't know if Apple's Preview compressing method is more efficient than any of the others:

A couple of comments on this subject:
I sent the original pdf file which I could not open with Acrobat Pro 9 to a friend who uses Acrobat as part of his work and has the latest version.
Turns out that he could open the pdf but could not edit it because the edit function was password protected.
I had already reduced the file size in Preview (from 350 MB to 210 MB) and sent that file....and sure enough, as I had expected, Preview ignored the edit password and my friend could now reduce the file size to 90 MB with still very good quality on a 43-inch 4 K monitor.
One new thing I found out was that one can actually control the amount of compression and thus the quality of the compressed file in Preview. I always thought the Preview compression parameters were fixed.
I have to find the article again and make a note of how that is done.

PS: Explained in this video -

Last edited:
Reaction score
...one can actually control the amount of compression and thus the quality of the compressed file in Preview. I always thought the Preview compression parameters were fixed.
I have to find the article again and make a note of how that is done.

How to tweak the compression ratios (the tradeoff between image quality and file size) when using Preview:

http://www.hoboes.com/Mimsy/hacks/quality-reduced-file-size/

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/33702/compress-pdf-with-adjustable-ratio

https://scrollinondubs.com/2007/04/05/quick-pdf-file-size-reduction-on-a-mac/

https://support.apple.com/guide/preview/compress-a-pdf-prvw1509/mac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.