Is my snow leopard disc bad, or is it the Drive?

Reaction score
I just got my macbook pro off ebay. It was sealed and had everything in it, hasnt been touched.

its a a 13" macbook pro, and i did a search for info based on the serial and it said it was built in november 2009.

Anyways i was messing with the partitions. I wanted my windows 7 boot camp partition to be bigger. im new to macs so i dont know if there was an easier way to do this (now i believe disk utility will do it? i dunno).

anyways i used a ubuntu live cd, and it actually couldnt do it, but after doing that, i kept getting a no operating system error. I could boot up os x by using the alt key though.

But the disk utility would no longer work. it kept saying it lost connection to the drive.

So i decided to just wipe the entire hard drive, and do everything over from scratch. But when i put my os x disc in the drive (the one that came with the macbook) it just makes a clunk and thunk sound. The disc isnt scratched, and works fine any other time. i mean i load it up in windows and it pops up, etc.

but i cant get it to work in the macbook's drive while booting up. i dunno.
i was able to hook my hp external dvd drive and boot that way.

I have no problems with any other disc on the macbook, besides this one.

I know sometimes a disc can be kinda corrupt and only some players can read them if you're lucky.

but i dont know. Is there a way to test the optical drive in the macbook? Or away to test the disk?

Im going to try to get another os x disc and see if it works. doesnt make any sense to me.

does anyone have any ideas?

btw, i have OS X installing right now from my external drive, and it is making some weird noises (trying to read it, the fast buzz sound, but seems to be installing. i hope it goes through.... its kinda letting me know that its the actual disc :|

OP
B
Reaction score
i know its the disc now. cant really do much with it on the external drive either. :|

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Should be able to call Apple for a replacement.

OP
B
Reaction score
Should be able to call Apple for a replacement.

Do you think it'll provide me with one? As i said i got it off ebay, and they didnt include the receipt or anything.

i just put my windows 7 disc into the macbook drive and it booted up just fine, so im gonna see if i can use the 7 on it until i get a snow leopard disc replacement.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Think they will, just give 'em a call. I would try cleaning the disc even if it doesn't appear to need it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Is the SL disc a genuine Apple disc or a copy the dealer made for you? That no receipt is a big worry if ever you get a service claim and I would be asking Apple to check the serial number against list of stolen machines by the sound of things.

OP
B
Reaction score
Is the SL disc a genuine Apple disc or a copy the dealer made for you? That no receipt is a big worry if ever you get a service claim and I would be asking Apple to check the serial number against list of stolen machines by the sound of things.

i wonder if i can send them an email about it and have them check out the serial?

its the original disc that came with the brand new macbook pro.

The closest apple store is 150miles away, which is way too far for me to travel right now.

I ended up CREATING another disc which worked just fine.

So do you think they could look up the serial for me if i sent them an email? and is there a way to register the macbook pro with them?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.