Is Monterey required for iPhone to communicate with Mac?

Reaction score
I just updated my iPhone 12 to 15.3. Now Apple wants me to update my iMac in order to communicate with my phone. The only update that shows available is Monterey 12.2. I'm running Big Sur 11.6.1. Is Monterey really required for this? those OS upgrades usually take several hours with our primitive internet.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-10 at 8.17.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-10 at 8.17.04 AM.png
    691.8 KB · Views: 7

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
That should not be the case. I have an iPhone running 15.3 and my mac has Big Sur and I have no connection problems. In fact my iPhone even connects to my older iMac running High Sierra.

Sometimes when you update the iPhone, it requires a small update to marry with the Mac. Could that be what was being asked of you? That’s a common feature. It usually requires the iPhone to be attached via USB. Then it says a small update. Fine. But NOT an Upgrade to the OS.

Try again by connecting the iPhone via USB and read carefully what it says in the way of an update. I bet it’s that small update I mentioned.

Please post back.

Ian

OP
N
Reaction score
If you look at the screenshot I posted it just says "a software update is required to connect to your iPhone. Would you like to download and install this update now?" It doesn't say what the update is, but when I look at "about this Mac" the only available update is to Monterey.

OP
N
Reaction score
If you look at the screenshot I posted it just says "a software update is required to connect to your iPhone. Would you like to download and install this update now?" It doesn't say what the update is, but when I look at "about this Mac" the only available update is to Monterey.
Downloading now, only 13 minutes remaining.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Moving to Monterey is not an "update" but an "upgrade" and is not what the message says you have to do. Have you checked at the Mac App Store for any updates there?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Historically, iOS syncing happened through iTunes and the latest version of iOS required the latest version of iTunes which in turn required a newer version of macOS.

For some time now it's possible to use your iPhone without ever connecting it to Mac and this let to people letting the versions of OS' drift apart. The other issue people ran into is for those who upgraded an iPhone many generations removed and wanted to sync with iTunes finding they couldn't without upgrading the Mac. Thus the breaking the need to sync with iTunes/Mac.

Now Music has replaced iTunes and the sync'ing happens more directly from Finder itself. So if you are running the more recent versions of iOS, you'll have no choice to run the latest (or as close to it as possible) version of macOS aswell.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ashwin, the OP is running Big Sur, which already replaced iTunes and already put Finder in as the sync tool. So, there should be no need to upgrade to Monterey, even with the phone updated. Eventually, yes, there will be a need to move up on the Mac, but BS should sync.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks everybody, update went okay only took 20 minutes. Now updating Big Sur, 2 hours remaining.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
If you look at the screenshot I posted it just says "a software update is required to connect to your iPhone. Would you like to download and install this update now?" It doesn't say what the update is, but when I look at "about this Mac" the only available update is to Montere

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Ashwin, the OP is running Big Sur, which already replaced iTunes and already put Finder in as the sync tool. So, there should be no need to upgrade to Monterey, even with the phone updated. Eventually, yes, there will be a need to move up on the Mac, but BS should sync.

Correct, that's why I said latest or close to latest. 😃

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, OK, I missed that. Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.