Is MacKeeper Bad for your iMac and it MacTuneUp Better?

Reaction score
Does anyone know much about a Mac cleaning software called MacTuneUp? I recently paid for a 1 year tech suport account for my iMac with a company called iYogi. Before paying the $150.00 it cost me for the 1 year tech support plan, I had never, I repeat: NEVER had any malware or adware issues with my computer. 2 weeks ago, I backed up all my important photos and documents via my dropbox cloud service so that I could upgrade my OS X system from Snow Leopard to Yosemite. Worst decision I could have made. Upon the install of Yosemite, my entire OS crashed to an all white/grey screen. I could not get the computer to reboot. I googled Apple Care for a phone number to see if I could pay for Mac support but instead ended up with a phone number to a certified Appel 24/7 Tech Support group called iYogi.. The funny thing about it is that I thought I was speaking with Apple Care all the way up until they told me I'll need to pay them for a 1 year tech support service that will cover up to 5 devices in the home if I should need it. As it always is, when our computers crash or give out on us, it seems to us to be a dire emergency, which we feel forced to cough up the money their asking for to help us - no matter the cost. So I did. I paid the $150.00 and then authorized remote access to my computer by iYogi. They were able to get my computer to boot and re-install Yosemite. At this point, I thought they were the best tech support group known to man until after the remote session ended and I began immediately recieving tons of pop-ups, and Ads that literally took over my computer. I had never seen this before on a Mac; and I've been a Avid Mac user since 1999. Suddenly my computer is operating like a PC and I couldn't stop it. I called iYogi back, explained my new issue and then they suggest I get rid of a Mac Cleaning software on my computer called MacKeeper and get MacTuneUp from them (which conveniently for iYogi, this brand of MacTuneUp can only be purchased from them). They totally erased MacKeeper from my computer without my permission and told me that this software is the cause of the adware and malware I am receiving. I tried to convince them that I had been using Mackeeper upwards of 3 years and it had never given me any problems before, but it was like talking to a wall. They deleted the app from my computer anyway and then insisted I buy MacTuneUp from them for $79.00 dollars. I told them I didn't have anymore money to give them at this time and that the $150.00 was already putting me in a bind.

Fast-Forwarding to this morning, I called iYogi Tech Support back and insisted they do something to fix the issue because this adware/malware problem didn't start until I signed a 1yr agreement with them.. They took remote access to my computer once again as if they were really going to resolve the issue this time and they dooped me by actually installing the MacTuneUp software onto my computer and entering a Token number for the application to open up. They ran a complete scan of my computer & optimization which showed results of 1354 issues affecting my system.. This was the first time I'd seen the app opened all the way. There was a button he could have easily clicked that said "Fix Issues" but this is when he closed out of it and told me I would need to pay $79.00 to move forward.

I know this is a lot of detail given on my part to ask one simple question: Has anyone ever used MacTuneUp before and is it everything that iYogi swears it to be? Oh and is the MacKeeper app that I had on my computer before all of this b.s. happened really that bad?

One more thing I forgot to mention. Also since granting iYogi access to my computer, My external Western Digital Hard Drives will no longer work on my computer. I took the hard drives to a very reputable Apple shop in Pasadena California called Di-No computers to test the hard drives on their iMac systems and they worked perfectly fine there. Everytime I try to back up my Data to my Time Machine backup drive, I receive an error message stating: Backup Failed! I've tried connecting multiple drives since then and none will work on my computer anymore... So disgusted & dissapointed.

Any insight on any of this would be very helpful and GREATLY appreciated.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Oh my God…!!! I thought such stories I have read about like this were just exaggerated myth nightmares made up by some sick people.

Anyway, assuming this is real, and I believe it is, I would divorce and disconnect yourself from such unethical vultures and forget the money you've spent, it's gone!! AND DO NOT SPEND ANY MORE OR SEND THEM ANY MORE MONEY.

Next step, head off to:
The Safe Mac
and
The Safe Mac » The myth of the dirty Mac

But maybe even first go and download and run AdwareMedic. You can get it from the same site here:
AdwareMedic

When you get that done, post back to get help and to confirm that all access from any iYogi types has been blocked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Well I did go and look up the iYogi company. Seems they are based in India and employ over 6,000 "techs". I also check a few consumer reporting sites and it seemed the posts that were positive were all PC users. I read a number of posts that were Mac users that were very dissatisfied. I also read several posts of people who tried to cancel their service and could not reg a refund even though it had been promised to them. Overall they do not appear that reputable.

Follow what pm-r suggests and post back with your results. There are way cheaper (read free) ways to get your mac running great again.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
At least the iYogi tech was correct about MacKeeper. ;) ;)

But I'd really wonder about the usefulness of any such support, even for the most basic beginner Mac user. Just saying...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And be aware malware is rife on the 'net at the moment regardless if you have a Mac or a PC. With your Mac, download and use AdwareMedic in Scan mode as suggested, and then download and install in Safari Extensions AdBlockPlus and Ghostery to keep on top of these nasties.Avoid MactuneUp, CleanMyMac etc and use Onyx, which is free. If you paid iYogi by credit card it may be worth calling your financial institution to have the charge cancelled.

Never download anything from Softonic or CNET who add these little nasties to their downloads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A few other discussion and Mac sites are adding a few other sites as well, as below. Maybe someone could compile a full list… ;)

"After you solve this, AVOID ALL GRAB-BAG WEBSITES, such as Softonic, Softpedia, Soft32, download-for-mac, and CNET. …"
(Bold mine)

So far, I've found macupdate.com to be pretty clean and free of unwanted add-ons.
But I couldn't believe when I was looking for something from what I thought was a legit Mac support type site a few weeks ago I ended up at a directed to Scandinavian site and a copy of MacKeeper and another similar one ended up on my desktop, my default Downloads folder, all on their own. No clicking needed!! Not good either!! The boldly stuff seems to be everywhere, :( :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Oh my God…!!! I thought such stories I have read about like this were just exaggerated myth nightmares made up by some sick people.

sucker-born-every-minute.jpg

OP
K
Reaction score
Appreciate the information. I immediately followed the link you gave: "The Myth of The Dirty Mac". Information I had not know before.

I guess the one good thing iYogi might have done (and I very-well could be speaking too soon), but with regard to installing AdMedic to my system- They had already installed it and ran it on my iMac a couple times already. After this last time, I have not seen anymore Ads or Pop-ups.

I need to learn how to run it and use the app myself in case I need it in the future. In the meantime, I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope that won't be necessary.

There is one last question that I have: With regard to the 1,354 issues found on my computer when iYogi tech support ran the MacTuneUp software on my computer and scanned it? Is it safe to say that 1,354 issues is really what is affecting my computer? And should I ignore trying to fix those issues now that I've read the great article "The Myth Of the Dirty Mac"?

Last edited:
OP
K
Reaction score
Appreciate the research of iYogi.

Well I did go and look up the iYogi company. Seems they are based in India and employ over 6,000 "techs". I also check a few consumer reporting sites and it seemed the posts that were positive were all PC users. I read a number of posts that were Mac users that were very dissatisfied. I also read several posts of people who tried to cancel their service and could not reg a refund even though it had been promised to them. Overall they do not appear that reputable.

Follow what pm-r suggests and post back with your results. There are way cheaper (read free) ways to get your mac running great again.

Lisa

Normally I am quick to go look up a company's reputation first before choosing to use their services, but in this case, maybe it was all the chaos surrounding the crash of my iMac and the worry that over-took my ability to think clear. I guess they always catch people off gaurd at their most vulnerable moments. It is probably what is keeping them in business (sadly speaking)...

OP
K
Reaction score
And be aware malware is rife on the 'net at the moment regardless if you have a Mac or a PC. With your Mac, download and use AdwareMedic in Scan mode as suggested, and then download and install in Safari Extensions AdBlockPlus and Ghostery to keep on top of these nasties.Avoid MactuneUp, CleanMyMac etc and use Onyx, which is free. If you paid iYogi by credit card it may be worth calling your financial institution to have the charge cancelled.

Never download anything from Softonic or CNET who add these little nasties to their downloads.

Thank you.. Will follow these steps too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Appreciate the information. …
… … ...
There is one last question that I have: With regard to the 1,354 issues found on my computer when iYogi tech support ran the MacTuneUp software on my computer and scanned it? Is it safe to say that 1,354 issues is really what is affecting my computer? And should I ignore trying to fix those issues now that I've read the great article "The Myth Of the Dirty Mac"?

Not knowing what any of those "issues" are, I suggest just ignoring them, especially considering that the latest version of MacTuneUp was released almost two years ago it's probably lagging and it sure doesn't get many positive remarks, and even they are old!!! ;P
MacTuneUp for Mac | MacUpdate

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Where in the world is Ms Moreno?

Reaction score
Macbooster

I did something similar and had NUMEROUS problems with my MAC book. I took it to a friend who knows a lot about computers...never fixed...it is now sitting with a certified MAC repair dealer! UGH and good luck! Your nightmare is just beginning!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.