Is it 'safe' to block nagging callers/texters?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 iMac; Late '11 MBAir, 2017 iMac from ****!
I was not sure as to which topic to post this under, so I thought I'd try it here. :)
Over the past couple of months, I've been receiving texts as early as 0400 in the morning saying "your Amazon account/your Netflix account (I do not have one), your "blank" account has been suspended, blah, blah, blah. Plus, dozens and dozens of "I am interested in purchasing your house...." calls and texts, many late at night.
Obviously, I never, ever answer ANY of these...but I am not sure that if I block them then delete the call or text, that they will find out I blocked them which tells them they have hit a valid phone number and then they 'sell' my valid number to some other whack job out there to continue their calls/texts.
I came here because the searches I've done so far didn't really make me feel too comfortable with blocking them.
Any suggestions or help here will be greatly appreciated!
Thank you in advance! :)

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
This is something most of us get at some time or another and equally I guess most of us "try" to block the number. I say "try" because the numbers shown are often false.

But to answer your question, Apple certainly endorses blocking these:

In fact, as you will read in the article, you can report these iMessages as well as SMS texts.

I don't see a "safety" issue here as all of the callers probably know that your number is "valid" since the text was not rejected; but even if they "made up" the numbers in the hope of a hit, your "blocking" will not affect or influence them in any way.

As most of us have experienced, such nuisance texts find a way of appearing again (n) .

So block them at your will. It may/may not stop them all, but it's safe to do so.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
If you use "Do not disturb" then except for allowed callers all calls during that time piece do not alert your phone, but they are not blocked.

OP
p_rod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is something most of us get at some time or another and equally I guess most of us "try" to block the number. I say "try" because the numbers shown are often false.

But to answer your question, Apple certainly endorses blocking these:

In fact, as you will read in the article, you can report these iMessages as well as SMS texts.

I don't see a "safety" issue here as all of the callers probably know that your number is "valid" since the text was not rejected; but even if they "made up" the numbers in the hope of a hit, your "blocking" will not affect or influence them in any way.

As most of us have experienced, such nuisance texts find a way of appearing again (n) .

So block them at your will. It may/may not stop them all, but it's safe to do so.

Ian
A YUGE thank you to you, Ian! I also appreciate how quickly you responded to my question! I know what my task is this afternoon....blocking dozens and dozens of unwanted and unneeded callers and texters! :)

OP
p_rod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you use "Do not disturb" then except for allowed callers all calls during that time piece do not alert your phone, but they are not blocked.

Thank you for your reply, Jimmy! In fact, I discovered the Do Not Disturb feature about a year ago when I purchased my first high dollar drone...it connects to my phone and the manufacturer heavily suggests placing your phone in DND mode while flying. I wouldn't want it to lose contact with me due to an unwanted text or caller.
In fact, my phone has been in that mode a LOT lately....especially when going to sleep at night.
Thanks, man! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
When using DND, or any of the Focus options, they each have options to allow Notifications from allowed People and Apps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.