Is it possible to set up a broadband internet connection in parallels?

Reaction score
Hi,

My service provider doesn't offer software for its broadband service to the latest Mac OS. I have paralles so I thought perhaps I could install the internet connection through there using Win XP SP2.

The software installs ok but when I plug the broadband modem in by USB nothing happens. Is it a hardware compatability issue or is there somewhere in parallels a place I need to tweak the USB? My USB mouse works fine in windows.

Its just that it wont recognise my broadband modem.

Please help as I am having to use my old PC laptop. It gets so hot my fingers burn with every key pressed!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Hi,

My service provider doesn't offer software for its broadband service to the latest Mac OS. I have paralles so I thought perhaps I could install the internet connection through there using Win XP SP2.

The software installs ok but when I plug the broadband modem in by USB nothing happens. Is it a hardware compatability issue or is there somewhere in parallels a place I need to tweak the USB? My USB mouse works fine in windows.

Its just that it wont recognise my broadband modem.

Please help as I am having to use my old PC laptop. It gets so hot my fingers burn with every key pressed!!

Really, this doesn't make any sense to me... The internet is the internet.. it doesn't matter what OS you use. All you need to do is hook up a model (cable or dsl) to a Wireless router, or directly to your Mac... and you are on the the internet... ???????

To answer your question as asked... yes you can connect to the web in Parallels... I have web access in parallels for XP and Linux.

OP
M
Reaction score
The instructions say that it doesnt have software for intel based macs so I wondered if that was also the reason it wouldnt work in XP? It is quite confusing and frustrating.

The modem just wasn't picked up by the USB port

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Ok... let's get you set-up...

1) What Mac do you have?
2) Do you have a cable or DSL modem (this is usually provided by your ISP)?
3) Do you want to connect to the web on wireless or wired connection?
4) If you want to be wireless... Do you have a wireless Router???

Let's start with that...

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time and effort to help.

I have a macbook pro 2.33 (yep its a beauty)

ADSL - theres a modem that connects via USB

Its a wired connection. I can occasionally steel the neighbours wireless but my own connection is wired.

So I installed the software in windows (because its not mac compatible) It says you can now plug your modem in. I plug it in and nothing happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Does your modem have a port to connect via ethernet?
RIDE is correct in that you shouldn't need any software to get connected to the internet, either in Mac or Windows.
Who is your provider?
What brand/make/model is the modem?
If you can let us know this information, then we can almost assuredly get you connected without the need for Parallels or any extra software.

OP
M
Reaction score
Its virgin broadband with the speed touch dialler. The virgin modem only connects with USB no ethernet port. Its and engish Uk broadband provider if that helps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
macbook

a) you are wired to the net with a macbook - yes

b) run paralells - and click onto the net

what bit have we missed to cause the confusion?

OP
M
Reaction score
I got the USB version because I didnt have an ethernet port for my old laptop. I think the issue is XP recognising the hardware

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
macbook

o.k. first things first get ethernet, usb will cause
you massive problems with tinternet:mac:

best regards

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
I got the USB version because I didnt have an ethernet port for my old laptop. I think the issue is XP recognising the hardware

I think the problem is that OS X is not recognising the USB hardware.

With the modem plugged in go to the About This Mac (from the blue Apple in the top left) and then on More Info...

Next highlight the USB entry on the left under Hardware and see what (if anything) shows up in the USB entries on the right.

For Parallels to see a USB device it must first be visible to OS X, if it isn't reporting correctly then you will have no joy.

If this is the case I'd ask Virgin to replace it with an Ethernet version.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
agree

yeh i'd agree amen moses

better still - why wired anyway i would shell out for airport express
hook it to your modem, then move about with your macbook as it was intended?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.