Is it possible to partition a drive and use it as a tc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white macbook, core 2 duo 2.1 ghz, 1 gig ram, 120 gig hdd, a machine of wonder!
hello everyone, i've seen many people with partitioned drives and a have a handsome 750gig external hard drive which containes backups for all of the computers in my house. It also containes all the family media, so the data currently on it must stay on it. i thought that maybe i could take 400gigs from it and use it as a time capsule.. any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks everyone in advance!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
Drive space is very cheap and I would add a second FW external and use it a s the Time Capsule and let the backup stay separate.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
okydokey, thanks, i'll think about it, can i add that im just a 13 year old kid without much money? i'll start saving but i would still apreciate help thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
markaoe3,

Since you're strapped for $$, you could do what you suggest IF there is an open partition on your 750GB drive or you can make an open partition without destroying your other data. If you have partition Magic, it will do that.

Assume for the moment that you have 100GB free - you could make a 100GB partition and plug your 750GB drive into the Mac and find it with Disk Utility, then format that 100GB partition with HFS+ or Mac OS Extended (Journaled) then use as TM backup.

Beware, that's still risky. Managing both a Mac backup and Windows backup can lead to a mistake down the line that would lose data for you (like some folks accidentally delete their hard drives). If you're extra careful, it would work.

Good luck, Noel

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks so much noel, u've been a great help, i owe u one!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
thanks so much noel, u've been a great help, i owe u one!

You're welcome! But do be careful. I wouldn't want you to lose anything...

Noel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.