Is it possible to download Mac os x 10.4 on a PC, onto a disk?

Reaction score
Hello, I recently posted a question on another forum about my Ibook G4 that is no longer working due to downloading Ubuntu. They said I need to reinstall Mac os x 10.4 on it for it to work. (Right now it won't go past the boot screen because Ubuntu wiped out the Mac os and Ubuntu won't work either.)
We called a computer repair store to see if they sold any Mac OS X install disks and the guy said you could download it for free online instead of buying the disk.

So my question is,
is it possible to download 10.4 for free online? If so, is it possible to download it on a PC, transfer it to a disk or flash drive, and then download that disk to my Ibook?

Thank you,
-Jessi

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You can not legally download any version of OSX online except for Lion and that is from a machine running Snow Leopard on the Apple App Store. Any other downloading of OSX is totally illegal.

What are the specs of the ibook? If it's a 867Mhz G4 or higher, you can purchase 10.5 Leopard and install that, but 10.5 is going to cost a lot. You would be better off getting a used Full Retail version of 10.4 Tiger from Ebay. BE SURE it's a Full Retail Black DVD.

OP
M
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I thought. I only saw 10.5 and up online for download. I'll just go ahead and get the one off of ebay. Thank you for your reply!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Yeah, that's what I thought. I only saw 10.5 and up online for download. I'll just go ahead and get the one off of ebay. Thank you for your reply!

Just to repeat, because we get a LOT of confusion on this, don't waste your money on the gray or silver disks. If it isn't a black OS disk it isn't the Tiger retail set and probably won't install on your system.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.