Is it me? (iCloud Drive)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13” i5 (2012) , iPhone5 16GB (white), iPhone4 8GB (white), iPad2 64GB 3G, Apple TV
There is one thing that I don't understand about iCloud Drive and it has been driving me crazy. I looked around, Googled it.... but to no avail.

Situation

I have created, with my Macbook Pro using Safari, an ”Epub” folder on iCloud Drive. I uploaded an ePub document (ebook).

How can I see or open this file on my iPhone5 ? In iBooks I don't have an option ”open from iCloud”, neither have I found a single way to even gain access to the iCloud Drive folder that I created (accessing iCloud.com on Safari for iOS doesn't work)

Help!

PS: the same counts for any file I would upload to iCloud Drive (through Safari for OSX) like PDF, XLS, Word files. How do you access/see these folders or documents on your iOS device???

Hardware: Macbook Pro (mid 2012 non retina) with OSX Yosemite // iPhone5 iOS 8.0.2

C

chas_m

As with iOS generally, you need an app that interfaces with iCloud Drive. Try Pages, the updated Word, or other apps that you know access iCloud.

Apple has made the assumption that if you are trying to open a certain type of document on your iPhone, you would of course already have an app on the iPhone that can read it, and thus access it.

For example, I have some Pages documents on iCloud. How would I access them? Through Pages, obviously.

Pages should also work for your ePub files. If you don't have Pages for iOS, you may need to buy it or an alternative, like GoodReader for example.

The thing to remember is that iOS doesn't really do file management in the way a desktop OS does.

Reaction score
Apple has made the assumption that if you are trying to open a certain type of document on your iPhone, you would of course already have an app on the iPhone that can read it, and thus access it. For example, I have some Pages documents on iCloud. How would I access them? Through Pages, obviously.
Aha! Thanks Chas.

Reaction score
opening epubs from iCloud1

You can easily open epub files in iBooks using iCloud Drive.

To do so, get the Cloud Drive Explorer app (by Tarek Sakr) from the App Store.

Copy your .epub file to iCloud Drive on the Mac. On the iPhone (or iPad) open Cloud Drive Explorer, select the .epub file, then select "Open With" and one of the options will be iBooks.

Works great for me!

Terry

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Thanks for the great tip Terry. Just downloaded it. :)

Reaction score
The icloud drive explorer doesn't seem to be on my app store(UK version).Is there another app anyone could recommend? Seems daft to me that apple didn't provide a way to browse icloud drive files on ipad or iphone.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13” i5 (2012) , iPhone5 16GB (white), iPhone4 8GB (white), iPad2 64GB 3G, Apple TV
You can easily open epub files in iBooks using iCloud Drive.

Copy your .epub file to iCloud Drive on the Mac. On the iPhone (or iPad) open Cloud Drive Explorer, select the .epub file, then select "Open With" and one of the options will be iBooks.

Works great for me!

Terry

Absolutely awesome advise, thank you !!!!

This is an app that solves the issue completely. All my files are discoverable, and I can open them with the appropriate app (e.g. iBooks for ePub files)

I am sorry to say so, but Apple screwed up on this one. The Cloud Drive Explorer app is what they should have released themselves. Kudos to Tarek Sakr!

Reaction score
Quote: To do so, get the Cloud Drive Explorer app (by Tarek Sakr) from the App Store.

That app doesn't work for me. Can't open files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.