Is firefox faster than Safari?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5 1GB RAM Superdrive; 12" powerbook 512mb RAM G4 Superdrive
Just wondering what the big deal over Firefox is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
donnation25 said:

yes its faster but i prefer safari right now

somehow it just suits the mac better

just my opinion :)

I

IcedOutQMutha

From my own experience I'd say Firefox is slightly faster, but I've found it doesn't display some page content correctly, which I was surprised at, and Safari showwed it fine, so I use Safari.

Z

zap2

firefox faster but since apple backs safari and it is still a good browser it is top-dog

I

i2oadi2unnei2

IMHO both are fairly the same speed, not that I can notice ms speeds <grin>. I use Safari on my PB and FireFox on my linux box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i prefer safari because i installed the 2 finger scroll hack on my iBook. It doesnt quite work on Firefox

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I will probably switch back to Safari with 2.0

I like FireFox right now because of RSS, and even though this may seem to be trivial I like how when I hit the red x when there are multiple tabs open it pops up a warning

D

Desolate One

As brendan67 has said, I also feel Safari suits the Mac better. I have both and yes it is faster, especailly if you:

in the addy bar key in about:config

network.http.pipelining - set to "true"
network.http.proxy.pipelining - set to "true"
network.http.pipelining.maxrequests - up the number to like "30" or so

Right-click or in our case ctrl+click and select new=>integer. Then create "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" Set that value at "0"

That should speed things up greatly.

But again, I prefer Safari. Even with the speed tweak Firefox has over it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I am pretty sure that tweak doesn't work. I read somewhere that FireFox has the default set to 8 and even if you change it in about config it will still stay at 8

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
I've mainly used Camino and Shiira. Camino has the Firefox rendering engine and speed, and the native OS X interface. I just think it's so much better than Firefox as far as programming is concerned. A port can never live up IMO. Shiira's got the Safari rendering engine, but I like the interface a little better, and from what I've seen it's noticeably faster than any other Mac browser. The big thing that Camino and Safari have going for them, though, that no other browsers have is keychain support. You have no idea how great the keychain is until it's gone. Firefox and Shiira lack that, but Shiira will hopefully have it soon.

And yes, monkey's right. While pipelining does improve speed, Firefox's about:config has been broken in the builds for some time now, so you can't really change it. Shiira has pipelining enabled by default, and you can enable it in Safari and Camino with simple programs.

Reaction score
If you want to try my Firefox G4/G5 builds, see http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=238228

I plan to add several Altivec optimizations to various parts of Firefox to see if I can significantly improve rendering speed. I'm just getting up to speed on the PowerPC architecture and will be doing some playing around with Altivec before attempting to implement changes.

I use Windows, Solaris, Linux and OSX on a regular basis and it's nice to have something that runs on a lot of different platforms. I have a decent working knowledge on several areas of the source code too and can make changes on my own.

J

Jefe3223

A bunch of people (mostly pc users) and i have tried/ use fire fox. We all agree that it runs a little slow out here (i notice a definante slow down from safarii). pieplining seems to help, but i like safari for general use.

M

meltbanana314

trpnmonkey41 said:
I am pretty sure that tweak doesn't work. I read somewhere that FireFox has the default set to 8 and even if you change it in about config it will still stay at 8

It is set to 8 but it's not enabled by default. That you have to do yourself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
[ safari + Saft ] > firefox

M

mangoSharingan

I used Firefox for a bit as my main browser, one reason being that you was able to browse through your bookmarks bar without having to click on each folder name in order to open it and all you have to do in Firefox is hover over it instead. I'm using Camino now and it seems ok but it has crashed on me about 3 times in the past month already! But I like the fact that it's Mac OS X native and I really hope it improves in the future!

Reaction score
donnation25 said:

It's a quite nice web browser that is kickin Ie's tail. It is faster than Safari, tho many still prefer Safari even yet being a native OS X program tho FireFox also has an OS X version. If you want even a faster web browser give the Opera V.8.0 beta a run, very fast, beats even FireFox.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.