Is buying an old generation Apple Tv worth it?

Reaction score
What's the advantage of buying a newer version of Apple TV?
My wife and I watch the occasional movie on Netflix and dvds but I'm not too happy about the lack of choice, here in Canada anyways, of Netflix. I purchased a Firestick a few years ago and seems like most of what is available I either need to pay for or again, isn't the kind of movie I want to watch. I'm more into classics and older movies.
I don't keep up with the latest technologies anymore, it changes to fast. So, if I were to get an Apple Tv to see what it do, should I try an older one or the newest version? I could always return the new one if I don't care for it but is the price difference from new to old worth it?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you don't have a 4K TV, sure the older gen aTV should be fine. The aTV is cheap enough, more expensive then firestick, but I think more capable as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
So Apple currently sells 2 models: the 2nd generation 4K model, and the older "Apple TV HD", which first came out in 2015, which does 1080p at best. As Ashwin said, if you don't have a 4K TV or for that matter don't care about 4K, then the HD model will suit you fine. Buying either of these current models new will get you the newer version of the remote if you plan to use that. The older remote with the trackpad was awful in a lot of ways. You can save still more money by buying a used HD model off eBay, and it will be fine, but you'd get that older remote. Not a big deal if you plan to use a universal remote like the Harmony instead.

EDIT: one more consideration is if you should get the 32GB version or the 64GB version. Unless you plan to install a lot of apps and games on it, then the 32GB should be fine.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.