Is an iPad bought in March 2016 too old to run Skype?

Reaction score
Asking for a friend! I can Skype him on his Apple iMac but not on his iPad.

Message reports that he's not online if iMac is disconnected. If he tries to call me, he's told that I am offline - when I am actually online. Skype has been uninstalled and reinstalled on his iPad a couple of times.

Any thoughts?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We would need to know which version of iPadOS that he's running on that iPad. The age of the iPad could be a factor if it can't run the latest version of iPadOS.

However, when looking up the various 2016 iPads, it shows that they can run the latest version of iPadOS.

Can you tell us which exact model he has and if it has cellular capability?

Also, does he have the latest Skype app loaded on his iPad?

OP
Brawdy14
Reaction score
We would need to know which version of iPadOS that he's running on that iPad. The age of the iPad could be a factor if it can't run the latest version of iPadOS.

However, when looking up the various 2016 iPads, it shows that they can run the latest version of iPadOS.

Can you tell us which exact model he has and if it has cellular capability?

Also, does he have the latest Skype app loaded on his iPad?
Thank you for responding. :)
The iPad is running iPadOS 15.1 and the most recent App was downloaded from the Apple App store today (Skype for iPad)
The serial number is DMPRC195H1MK which I believe is an iPad Pro purchased in March 2016
I think it is Wi-Fi only.

Any ideas of what to try now? TIA

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
The bottom line here is that it should work. Does the iPad work normally on WiFi for other functions? Having said that I don't actually use Skype on my iPad but I do use it on my MBP. Does your friend use FB Messenger or WhatsApp? Have you tried them for video calls.

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
So, just as an experiment I have installed Skype on my 2017 (WiFi only) iPad. The set up process requires the usual things, access to mic, camera and contacts and a login with my Microsoft account email and password. Having done all of this I was able to send a message to myself on my iPhone number. I assume I could place an audio or video call as well.
So, what are we missing? Does he have Skype credit? Has he logged in correctly? Has he allowed the required permissions? It's bound to be something small.

OP
Brawdy14
Reaction score
So, just as an experiment I have installed Skype on my 2017 (WiFi only) iPad. The set up process requires the usual things, access to mic, camera and contacts and a login with my Microsoft account email and password. Having done all of this I was able to send a message to myself on my iPhone number. I assume I could place an audio or video call as well.
So, what are we missing? Does he have Skype credit? Has he logged in correctly? Has he allowed the required permissions? It's bound to be something small.
Thank you, Rod.
I'll be seeing him face-to-face tomorrow and will try to get to the bottom of things.
I now understand that he has NEVER used Skype on his iPad before! 🙄
I've asked him to do a reset - I'll let you know if it makes any difference.

OP
Brawdy14
Reaction score
Sitrep!

My friend's Ipad has been completely reset and Skype App removed and then reinstalled.
We also commissioned a brand new 27in iMac today, installed Skype and I couldn't connect to that either!
I called Apple Support and they checked MY iPad and it was without fault.
Skype itself seems to be the problem - but what?!!!

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This really puzzles me because just after you first post I had to install Skype on my Gen 6 iPad for the purposes of an international call to a service provider in my home country. I described that process in post #5. So, you may well be correct is suspecting Skype itself but that seems unlikely. I keep thinking we've missed something small. Does your friend use FB Messenger, WhatsApp or have you tried the built in FaceTime?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Skype is nowadays a stripped-down version of its former self. I abandoned it after getting flaky performance on all of my devices.

Zoom, Microsoft Teams, Apple's FaceTime, WhatsApp and Messenger are all free and, in my view, eminently more reliable.

Ian

OP
Brawdy14
Reaction score
Skype is nowadays a stripped-down version of its former self. I abandoned it after getting flaky performance on all of my devices.

Zoom, Microsoft Teams, Apple's FaceTime, WhatsApp and Messenger are all free and, in my view, eminently more reliable.

Ian
Thanks, Ian.

I personally very rarely use Skype - but I get a little frustrated when I can't get things to 'work'! There is ALWAYS a reason - and I like to find it! 😉

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Ian

I didn't know that Ian. I suppose it's a cost cutting measure to help compete with the aforementioned social media alternatives. I've been a Skype user since way before any of those and it still serves me well for computer to landline in other countries but really for video calls Apple device to Apple device FaceTime is great and maybe in this case Skype is at fault.

OP
Brawdy14
Reaction score
This really puzzles me because just after you first post I had to install Skype on my Gen 6 iPad for the purposes of an international call to a service provider in my home country. I described that process in post #5. So, you may well be correct is suspecting Skype itself but that seems unlikely. I keep thinking we've missed something small. Does your friend use FB Messenger, WhatsApp or have you tried the built in FaceTime?
Update!
This morning I have been able to have a successful video call with my friend on FaceTime, on FB Messenger and on What'sApp. 🙂
When I tried to call on Skype it started ring and then told me that my friend was 'off-line' when, of course, he was not. FAIL!
There MUST be a reason!!!

Any further help or comment will me most welcome.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aha! "Status", of course, I only make calls to company or landlines not other Skype users on mobile devices. Have a read of this site and the reply to the first user. I think this might be the answer. Skype on iPad won't stay online
You need to launch the app, tap on your picture/icon at the top. You will see a menu at the top which describes your status, tap the arrow (right) and it will bring up four options. They are sort of self explanatory but you need to choose "Active". See if that works.

Last edited:
OP
Brawdy14
Reaction score
Aha! "Status", of course, I only make calls to company or landlines not other Skype users on mobile devices. Have a read of this site and the reply to the first user. I think this might be the answer. Skype on iPad won't stay online
You need to launch the app, tap on your picture/icon at the top. You will see a menu at the top which describes your status, tap the arrow (right) and it will bring up four options. They are sort of self explanatory but you need to choose "Active". See if that works.
Thanks, Rod

I'll check my friend's iPad tomorrow.

I had successful video call with a friend in Arizona, USA, earlier this evening, so I'm happy that MY iPad Pro is working just fine. 😇

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.